Programming Editor Update Q's

alband

How do I check in programming editor which version I have?
To update, is there an easier way than just un-installing then installing?
Also, Is there, r is there soon, or can I suggest, some updates to the simulator, including a change the simulator panel to fit 40X's?

Others may want to add suggestions to a "wish list".

Would be great...
Thanks.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
With the Programming Editor open, there's a Help option on the menu bar far right, and an About option at the bottom of the list. Second line down on the pop-up after clicking that will be somethhing like "Version 5.2.1".

Version 5.2.1 is the latest so that's the recommended one to install.

For suggestions there's the Programming Editor Software forum for "Suggestions, new feature ideas and bug reports for the Programming Editor software only".

BeanieBots

Also, you don't always need un-install and re-install for a newer version.
More often than not, there is a much smaller "patch" which can be installed to upgrade.

alband

Right, I was on 5.2.0 and unfortunately still am. I downloaded and installed the patch but it hasn't updated in the "about" window. It didn't mention re-starting the PC and I haven't as I'm about to switch off for the night anyway. So, If I shouldn't need to switch off, do I need to uninstall and install?
Hopefull though, I will boot up in the mornin and all will be well. :rolleyes:

BeanieBots

I've just updated from 5.2.0 to 5.2.1.
Downloaded the patch. Ran PE. The pop-up showed 5.2.1 and the help screen showed 5.2.1
No reboot required.
I think you might have done something wrong if yours did not update.
However, it's always good practice to re-boot after installing software anyway.

alband

Well I've checked after starting up this morning and it's still on .0. I'm going to try installing the full new version to see what happens.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
BeanieBots is right; the latest full version is 5.2.0, the 5.2.1 upgrade is a patch.

Install 5.2.0 then re-boot ( you may not have to but I've always done that anyway, and you shouldn't need to if 5.2.0 already installed ) then install the 5.2.1 patch. After that the splash screen and Help->About should show 5.2.1

This isn't usually necessary but - To make sure I'm using a clean sheet when there is an upgrade, I use Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs to remove all copies of the Programming Editor, delete all files in the home directory ( C:\Program Files\Programming Editor ) and re-boot. Install the latest full version, re-boot, install the latest patch.

Make sure you backup any source you keep in the Programming Editor home directory first !

I have a C:\PICAXE directory under which I keep all my PICAXE files which keeps them safe and easy to backup.

alband

Sorted, turns out I had two copies to begin with on the same PC. The only shortcut on the desktop was to the one that I didn't update.
No worries, thanks everyone and happy late b'day hippy:D