Programable LED

pichutch

Hi, First post here. I first found out about Picaxes 2 days ago, and my 08M and proto board turned up this morning so I'm really excited about getting it all wired up on monday (when I can get to the shops for a batter holder!)

I would LOVE to make a programable LED like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Programmable-LED/
As one of my first projects. Just before I embark on the painfull course of trying to make head and tail of that C code and convert it to BASIC, has anyone else already made on of these?

I'm starting to think that there might not be enough room on an 08M!

Cheers, Ben

manuka

Welcome! Even the baby 08M accepts ~80 lines of high level code, & a "throwie" such as you mention would be a piece of cake. Designs using the LED as the light sensor have even evolved ! Strongly suggest you LEARN BY DOING -see Andrew's inspirational pictorial pages => http://picasaweb.google.com/picaxe/ & first rustle up some HIGH,LOW,PAUSE type circuitry.

EXTRA: PICAXE 08M supply needs flexibly range between ~3V & 5½V, but the ~4½V from 3 x AA batteries is the norm. DO NOT USE 9V!

Last edited:

pichutch

Ok thanks Manuka, I'll work through the basics of BASIC on Monday and get the 'hello world' flashing LED stuff over and done with! I guess we all have to start somewhere!

I'll have a good look at the link later, I've been looking for somewhere with lots of sample circuits so thanks.

Re supply: I was confused at first when I saw a pp3 style connector with the kit, but I realise now that some AA battery holders have that sort of connection on too. Not something I've seen before. I grabbed a 5v regulator at maplin yesterday so I might use that instead.

manuka

That battery snap connector is indeed normally associated with ONLY 9V batteries, & I for one have made many protests about it's continued kit use in circuitry that is never exposed to more than ~5V. Given the intended educational market for PICAXEs, this is just asking for trouble!

In my opinion it's akin to mixing up 12V & 230V Volt lamps, as eventually someone will accidentally plug the 12V version into the mains. You may think such oversights rare,with designs made blunder proof to prevent this, but I've just unpacked a commercial solar lighting kit with both 12V CFL & gorgeous 12 V LED clusters mounted in -ARGH!- normal mains style ES (Edison Screw) bases.

Extra: PICAXEs can be very prone to mains power supply hum & spikes/hash, so if problems arise go for 3 x AA batteries.

Last edited:

pichutch

mm.. not good. I can imagine some one trying to remove the 'blown' 12v lamp from the mains wired socket and frying their bits.

kranenborg

Hello Pichutch, welcome to the forum.

After you have gotten some more experience with the picaxe, you may find the following discussion on this forum useful (LED as a light sensor: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7775 ) and the links therein, for your programmable led application. I would suggest to take a green led in a clear housing , I had the best experiences with them in practice (used in the PongSat 18X: http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9236 )

However I second manuka in his remarks to start very simple and take the time to get to know the picaxes first; even the 08M has an awful lot of functionality that may become useful / necessary in future projects. I would rate a programmable led as a more sophisticated project. Also I would suggest to take the time to go through manukas link.

Regards,

Jurjen

Wrenow

And do not forget that there are several useful interface circuit diagrams and code in the very fine manual (check the appendix). Tons of other tips, too. I did print out a copy and put it in a loose-leaf binder, so I could add code snippets and other wiring diagrams, datasheets, etc. as I came across them. I like having a hard copy that I can take to the reading room and ponder over when working up a project.

Cheers,

Wreno

kranenborg

Having looked to the instructable pointed out by pichutch I now realize that it was not meant to used the LED as a light sensor at first; the picture shows an LDR, but I missed that somehow. This of course makes the project much simpler and a good starter. Using the LED itself as a sensor is still an interesting but more complex option, the links that I provided refer to that case.

/Jurjen