Problem with USB010 cable

rmeldo

Hi forum,

I have a problem connecting my desktop (Dell Dimension 9200) to the Picaxe AXE110P datalogger board for programming

I have an older laptop (Dell again) and with that I can connect without problems both using the serial or a USB port.

I am using a serial cable with the serial to USB adaptor.

On the desktop I have installed the cable drivers and connected to the Picaxe, queried the Picaxe for model and received a response (18X).

I was using batteries at first. I have built a 5V voltage regulator but no luck. I have performed all the checks recommended in the documentation and they all pass:

Now,

1) what possible reasons could there be for the different behaviour on the two computers?

2) Is it possible that I might need a 232 circuit to boost the voltages? (MAX232 or equivalent)?

3) Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Riccardo

I have done all checks

rmeldo

-----------------------------
Error - memory verification failed. (Byte 499)

Possible causes:
1) Cable removed during programming
2) Power removed during programming
3) reset pin floating
4) Damaged PICAXE chip
5) Unsmooth/unregulated power supply
6) Incorrect power supply
7) Serial adapter is not receiving sufficient power to operate correctly
-----------------------------------

Now, as I see it points 1 to 6 are computer independent, leaving only cause No 7.

Is there any way of checking it? (multimeter? for a changing signal?)

Riccardo

kranenborg

Hi,

I remembered another recent thread were this issue was raised (programming success appeared to depend on the computer used). Beaniebots suggested that it might have something to do with the prioritization of USB-related processes.
See the following link (and the links therein): http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10828

I pity that I cannot help further as I have only used a serial programming cable up to now (the serial port is standard on industrial versions of laptops).

Maybe RevEd can dive deeper into this matter

/Jurjen

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The Programming editor software has no idea that you are using a USB adapter, this is all handled by the Windows operating system/USB driver.

Do you have the same driver version on both machines?

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manger

Select COM & LPT
Find the prolific entry, right click, select properties.

rmeldo

The drivers are the same:

Prolific 2.0.2.1 ser2pl.sys

No loose connections (none that I can see). I am just swapping the cable between the two computers

I also read the thread recommended above.

I tried pressing F5 instead of using the mouse. Same problem.
I stopped the bluetooth sevice and disconnected the bluetooth transmitter (for wireless keyboard and mouse). Plugged in wired keyboards and mouse. Pressed F5: same problem.

BeanieBots

Unfortunately I can't offer any further advice. My problem was with USB010. Switching over to AXE027 fixed it for me.
However, with the USB010, anything else working in the background did seem to make things worse. Also, it was something which suddenly happened (on two PCs) which points towards a recent windows issue.

Try shutting down everything that is not absolutely needed. In particular anything like USB mouse drivers. Disconnect anything such as wireless connections and shut down as many background processes as possible.
I can only guess at the route cause of this but the 18X does appear to be affected more than any other device.

Do you have any other types of PICAXE to try? Do they work OK?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We suspect this may be the Prolific driver issue. Try uninstalling (via Device Manager) and then re-installing using the slightly older version (2.0.0.7) available as a download on the www.picaxe.co.uk website (software page).

The Programming Editor software is unaware whether you are using a real serial cable or USB cable. The Prolific driver workls with the Windows operating system to generate a 'virtual' COM port. Therefore a change to the driver may help things...?

westaust55

Have you gone into the Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device Manager / Ports and checked the actual com port number used?

It can easily be different between each computer and if you start the Program Editor software without the AXE027 cable connected to the PC it will default to com 1 and you will need to reset to the correct com port again.

rmeldo

thanks,

Yes I do make sure the port is the right one by searching it when I reconnect and quering the PICAXE for the firmware version before trying the programming.

I will try tonight the to roll back the driver as suggested.

pssmith

3) Other suggestions?
I've had this or a very similar problem - mostly affecting 18X's (it was a bit wider on my old motherboard). Does it work with other PicAxes?

It also seems in my case to be related to the PC. Didn't work on my Asus P5Q motherboard nor an older Athlon 64 based system - but does work on my IBM Lenovo laptop.

rmeldo

I have tried installing the previous driver 2.0.7, as recommended by technical, but the problem still persists.

Any other ideas?