Playing MP3/WAV with a PICAXE...

Grogster

Hi all.
:)

I know of the USB030 module, and am wondering if there is any other alternatives?
Not that the USB030 is too expensive, but just wanting to check out my options.

I want something that can have, say, 100 or so different messages recorded as MP3's or WAV's, and the PICAXE can select and play the one that is needed.

It's for a "Talking alarm" type thing, which says the location that the guard needs to go to, instead of having to goto a mimic panel with LED's first.

What happens, is if door1 is opened(for example), the system can select the door1 message from the USB flash-drive files, and play it via a CB radio interface. When tripped, the interface activates a CB-radio and transmitts the audio location message over and over. During each pause between messages, the PIC releases the CB-radio, and the radio then listens for an acknowledge sqwark from the guard(he/she just pushes the PTT button once), when it gets that, it cancels sending the message again, unless the door is opened again - this is to save the sanity of the guard... ;)

However, standard 8-bit voice-recorder chips are expensive when used like this when you need lots of messages, and the sound quality is usually marginal at any rate...

IDEALLY would love one that used SD cards, but flash-disk based concepts will still be considdered.

Thanks.

Grogster

This device is PERFECT for what I want to do, and then some.
Thanks VERY MUCH for posting the link.

Now, all I have to do, is get my hands on one to try out.
glyn.co.nz appear to be the NZ agents for 4D products, so I have e-mailed them...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I was going to suggest taking a 28X2 or 40X2, wiring up an IDE bus, connecting a CD-Rom drive holding an Audio CD and sending ATAPI commands to play tracks. But just wiring up an iPod might be a tad easier :)