PicAxe Thermometer

erco

This guy did a great job on his giant thermometer using an 08M. I want to build one with an M2 chip using readinternaltemp. Even if it requires custom calibration, it would make a great minimalist project. Temperatures change slowly, so the PicAxe could nap a lot to save battery power.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I want to build one with an M2 chip using readinternaltemp. Even if it requires custom calibration, it would make a great minimalist project.
Sounds like a plan, and you can make yourself the forum's READINTERNALTEMP expert along the way !

This is the application note you want if you haven't got it already -

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01333A.pdf

Figure 4 is the key, what a 'READADC of the temperature indicator' would give, though you'll be using a 10-bit result as if READADC10.

After that, it's just a case of dealing with it as any other READADC10 reading needing to be adjusted to what it actually means.

Start with the IT_RAW readings for READINTERNALTEMP at known temperatures and build up from there. I think it's IT_RAWH that gives higher / wider range readings than IT_RAWL but requires a supply of at least 4V ...

READINTERNALTEMP IT_RAWH, 0, w0

Have fun !

erco

Great info, hippy. 4V is fine, as I'll need 5-6V for the servo. A small solar cell might be able to charge a battery and power the whole thing.

Much better than a big plastic thermometer from the dollar store. :)

Janne

Hi

Will be interesting to see, what kind of accuracy is possible from the internal temperature sensor. Would appreciate if you will post your findings once you're done with your project.

westaust55

In the October 2012 issue of Nuts & Volts magazine, Ron Hackett has an article entitled "MEASURING A PICAXE PROCESSOR’S INTERNAL TEMPERATURE".
This dicusses the need to calibrate for each PICAXE chip (no two garanteed to be the same).