picaxe control with pc using xbee module ?

goutay

hello
(i don't found the presentation thread so i post directly here)
okay i'm new in microcontrollers chip world, i want to by this kit :
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe210.pdf , to make a wireless controlled robot .
my question is : can i controlled my robot by my computer , if i put a xbee module in my pc connecter by serial port ?

i found this : http://www.instructables.com/id/Control-real-world-devices-with-your-PC/ , were use an vb interface to control a servo trouth a picaxe

what software can i use , can i program it myself ?

thanks

(sorry for my bad english :D )

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yes, you can use AXE210 to control a robot from a PC, and to receive information back from your robot.

You will need two AXE210. One will be fitted with MAX3232 and connect to the PC via a serial port ( or use USB-to-serial cable - AXE027 ), the other fitted with a PICAXE in your robot. That is the basic configuration, you can ( and may need to ) get more complicated depending on your robot's needs and what robot hardware you have.

You can either use a serial terminal program ( HyperTerm and others ) to instruct your robot or you can write a program yourself which controls via a serial port - VB.Net and other programming languages can be used.

You can put 'the intelligence of your robot' into the PC and have the PICAXE just controlling motors, reading sensors and so on, or you can put the intelligence into the PICAXE, or have a mix of both.

( Your English is very good )

goutay

hey thanks for answering ...
in fact i dont want "intelligence" for my robot
i just need to control it (with 4 button , up , down , left , right )

and i have another question : is it possible to control the serial port via a website , to control my robot everywhere ? ( my computer can be use as the server)

thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yes, it is possible to control the serial port through a web page. Just as a server can be instructed to send email via a web page request it can be instructed to communicate to its serial port.