PICAXE chip for Eagle?

Andrew Cowan

I'm starting to use SMD chips, so I am learning Eagle - circuit wizard doesn't support SMD components.

Of course I could just use un-named DIL chips, but as there are so many chips in the library, I was wondering if anyone has created a PICAXE chip with labled pins that can be downloaded.

Thanks,

Andrew

By the way - does anyone re-use SMD PICAXE chips? I know it is possible to desolder SMD chips, but is it practical? Or is an SMD PCB permanent? With my through-hole PCBs I use sockets, thus the PICAXE's are reusable.

Texy

I'm starting to use SMD chips, so I am learning Eagle - circuit wizard doesn't support SMD components.

Of course I could just use un-named DIL chips, but as there are so many chips in the library, I was wondering if anyone has created a PICAXE chip with labled pins that can be downloaded.

Thanks,

Andrew

By the way - does anyone re-use SMD PICAXE chips? I know it is possible to desolder SMD chips, but is it practical? Or is an SMD PCB permanent? With my through-hole PCBs I use sockets, thus the PICAXE's are reusable.
Aparently Sparkfun have free downloadable library - see this thread, although I don't know if it has SMD parts, I admit.

Texy

Ralpht

Andrew,

Re-using SMD chips is viable. As long as you are careful when you remove them - don't overheat and take static precautions - it should be OK.

I have done so many times and so far have a 100% successful recovery rate. Canibalising an old board is sometimes the only way to get hard to obtain components.

Plenty of advice on the net as to how to do it, so try it.