picaxe 08M sample rate

linear_shift

Hi, for how short a time interval can the "pause" command be set? Can it be set as short as the 4 MHz clock? Can the pause command have a float for a variable? I using the picaxe for a/d conversion for a radio astronomy project and need a high DC sampling rate to match (or come close to) the bandwidth of my receiver for the best possible integration time.

Thanks, ls.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You can use PULSOUT on an otherwise unused pin to get down to 10uS pauses (4MHz) and 5uS (8MHz), although there'll also be a ~200uS overhead for the PULSOUT instruction itself.

tiscando

You can use PULSOUT on an otherwise unused pin to get down to 10uS pauses (4MHz) and 5uS (8MHz), although there'll also be a ~200uS overhead for the PULSOUT instruction itself.
Why isn't there a 'pauseus' command on all the picaxes and not just the x1 and x2 parts?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That's just the way it is. I guess the need for short pauses wasn't perceived as necessary in bygone days and adding that now to earlier PICAXE's would cause all sorts of problems with little gain.

Texy

.5ms -- "pause 1" at 8MHz
The OP didn't mention which picaxe to use, so why stop at 8Mhz?
If he used X1 parts.......

Manual 2, page 108 :

Pauseus ....

Affect of increased clock speed:
The timebase is reduced to 5us at 8MHz and 2.5us at 16MHz.
Regards,
Texy

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I using the picaxe for a/d conversion for a radio astronomy project and need a high DC sampling rate to match (or come close to) the bandwidth of my receiver for the best possible integration time.
It would be interesting to know what a high sampling rate is considered to be. At 4MHz the PICAXE can probably sample at around 2,500 times a second but that's without processing any data. Just minimal processing could halve the sample rate though that could be regained using a faster 8MHz or 16MHz.

The sampling rate would very much depend on what processing needed to be done.

Texy

The OP didn't mention which picaxe to use, so why stop at 8Mhz?
If he used X1 parts.......

Manual 2, page 108 :

Pauseus ....

Affect of increased clock speed:
The timebase is reduced to 5us at 8MHz and 2.5us at 16MHz.
Regards,
Texy
...oooppps - just spotted the title of his message, quoting 08M, so please ignore the above:rolleyes:

Texy

Dippy

Yes, it won't be a super fast sampling rate.

Perhaps, sample:pOKE would be quicker than processing in loop.
Then process separately. This also maintains speed of sampling.

PS. There are no floats available.