Picaxe 08m problems

lighttech407

Hey I most recently picked the picaxe 08m starter kit to test it out for a project I am doing for a theatre. The project is trying to create a flashing led scene that is to embody crazy dreams. I was trying to load a simple program to make sure that it works. I got it to download the project once but since then it will only connect to the chip but it won't download. I have tried reseting the chip but still I get nothing. I am at a deadend and time is running out I was wondering if anyone has tips or any other ideas it would be appreciated.

manuka

MORE DETAILS PLEASE- Is your soldering OK? What sort of power supply? Direct serial or USB ? etc. A layout photo would greatly help.

inglewoodpete

...but since then it will only connect to the chip but it won't download
Does this mean that you can fetch the Firmware revision from the chip?

Also, can you tell us the actual voltage between pins 1 and 8, measured by a multimeter?

premelec

Try disconnecting power - start download try - as soon as screen appears that try is happening, connect power. If you have a large capacitor near the PICAXE that needs to be discharged as well when power is turned off. If you have any 'sleep' or 'serin' commands suspect they might hang up something in an unexpected way. Good luck... it almost always works... eventually.

slimplynth

my download problems were sorted by following the good advice given on the linked thread, in the end it turned out to be my sloppy soldering skills. Its an 18X but a lot of advice still applies.

Good luck