PIC programmer AXE001

ciseco

Hi,

This is probably aimed at tech rather than a generic question, but someone might know. I've just tried programming a PIC16F886 with some trial code, with a view to putting some of the 28x1 programs straight onto PIC's. The 886 isnt listed in the PIC part of the editor, which Microchip part should I be using as an equivalent to a 28x1?

Cheers

Miles
________
Toyota Dyna history

Last edited:

ciseco

Just been looking through the PICDEF.INI and there's a line for it in a section at the end called 'not complete', I'm assuming this file needs editing so that the 886 appears in the availble list, anyone got any thoughts?

[NOT COMPLETE]
;' Device ID already entered

;'28 16F882, 16F883, 16F886
________
volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The programmer itself or the programming software may also need to know the correct programming algorithm to use. These can change from PIC to PIC.

I'm not sure which question you have; how to burn a 16F886 or what to use instead to put a converted 28X1 program into.

ciseco

Hiya,

Both really, when I ordered the AXE001 I looked at what model number the 28x1 was and ordered a few blanks from farnell.

There's two ways of doing this I guess, either I get some more that are already listed than can take a 28x1 program or possibly modify the PIC programmer files so I can program the 886's I have (which would be better), as at an early point before programming it looks up the model and refuses to go further as it doesn't recognise the device.

Also many thanks for putting into my head about repeated code blocks and trimming down the actual assembler code. Was realy pleased to see it comments out the basic program in chunks then has the actual assembler code, as I can then see what each line of basic creates in assembler, so I can tweak and learn in the process.

Cheers

Miles
________
Jeep SJ history

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There's the third way ... use a third-party programmer which can take the .Hex file and burn a 16F886.

My recommendation there would be the PicKit2 as Microchip keep on top of ensuring their tools can work with the product they produce, that's one of their primary jobs.

Rev-Ed are in the unenviable position of having to play catch-up while resources for that may need to be focused elsewhere. Not a criticism, that's reality.

I've had the same problems with my old parallel port PICmicro programmer. It can handle the chips I'd like but the software doesn't and changing the .INI files has not always been easy nor as successful as it should be and updates aren't available for the newer chips. Software which will handle the chips won't work with my programmer. Unless you are lucky enough to get a programmer and software which work together and both are flexible enough to support whatever the future brings there's always a problem waiting to arise. Might as well take 'luck' out of the equation and use what's been designed for the job especially given its price.