Non Sony IR keypress recorder

@lowa

Is it possible to record the code from a keypress of a non Sony IR remote with a Picaxe and duplicate it with an IR LED later?
Any advise will be welcome
I would like to duplicate the play, FF and play minus 8 secondes of me Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300 HD cable tv decoder and recorder.
Any ideas how it can be done?
Thanks for your replies

@lowa

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Not since they slapped an ASBO on me for banging bits in a public place :)

As to non-Sony IR receiving - that depends greatly on what protocol the Remote Control uses. If it's slow and a simple protocol then it's possible, as it becomes faster and more complex it gets harder. It may be necessary to use external hardware ( IrDA chips ) or more complicated buffering.

Playback has similar problems. In this case you may be able to create a 'one button remote' which simply sends the command(s) needed so no need to record what the original remote sends out which saves half the project.

To do that you'll need to know the protocol used which means either a Google search or examining the IR sent by the remote on a scope or similar. LIRC is a program which can capture IR signals on a PC which may be useful.

Recording and playback is the usual trick to avoid having to know the protocol and that works well for PC's which run quite fast, but for any PICAXE solution discovering the protocol used is really the first step of the project.

@lowa

Thanks for the replies, it confirms what i was effraid of.
My next option is to bye an universal remote with the learn function. teach it the 3 keys i need and use the picaxe to short these keys as require
@lowa