New RF modules from Maplin Electronics

MFB

My new Maplin Electronics catalogue features the following low cost RF modules...

A range of transmitter, receiver and a transceiver modules operate at 433MHz (also 868MHz versions) and quote a maximum data rate of 356kbps. TX & RX modules cost £3.99 inc VATbut the transceiver costs £5.99 inv VAT.
http://www.quasaruk.co.uk/acatalog/Alpha_Modules.html

The transceiver operates at 2.4GHz and quote a maximum data rate of 500Kbps. It costs £6.99 inc VAT.
http://www.quasaruk.co.uk/acatalog/FM_Transceiver_Module.html

All the above products have integral modem features that should allow direct interfacing to a PICAXE UART port. The range of the 2.4GHz transceiver is quoted as 50 metres and the 433MHz pair is 300 metres.

julianE

They are also available in the US from Digi-Key. Looks interesting tho I'm much too a beginner to use them without some help. Looks a bit more complex then the cheapo modules.

MFB

Yes, you do have to set them up using SPI but they are very flexable. Its good to find something interesting in the Maplin catalogue, as their range off components seems to get less and many items (like the RF modules?) are often web purchase only.

manuka

RF Solutions => http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/Alpha_TX_RX_Modules.html & Digikey (~US$6 )also handle them. Pricing is certainly attractive!

These look akin to Asian versions stashed away here, & (if so) my recall says - very good features (low standby current/RSSI etc) with FM interference immunity, but only low TX power, with just modest RX sensitivity,and quite a hassle to set up. Pinouts not a standard 1/10th inch of course either. They best seem to suit mass production rather than tinkerers.

That 300m range claim is probably hence an order of magnitude too high, & applications of the UHF versions may really suit ~10-20m ranges, at data rates well beyond normal PICAXE needs. Stan.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I had a look at the RF Controller Chip ( CC2500 ) spec for the 2.4GHz transceiver and it seems more complicated then XBee, with the added bonus of having to use SPI.

It looks like it's possible to configure it with pins for serial RX and TX but not sure if the modules are delivered ready-to-go for SERIN / SEROUT connection. It really needs someone to plough through the manual, try it, or find a project already using them with something better than a, "Look; it works!", video.

In the absence of anyone already having done the work for use with a PIACXE I'd be more inclined to stick with 433MHz or XBee.

Dippy

These Alpha RF modules look relatively easy.

The chips like the CC2500 look more difficult. They seem more similar to the Microchip MRF24J which hasn't had a mention before on the Forum.
Basically, YOU have to set up the info via SPI for the chip to packetise and send (if you want to use it to it's fullest).
I had quite a struggle with the MRF24J. (Embarrassingly, others find it quite easy!!)

All this work is done for you within XBee - which explains some of the price difference.
You don't get owt for nowt lad! (But usually expect everything for nothing!)