Navigation switch

evans_us

Hi All
I am looking for a navigation switch with a button like a D-pad on a game controller. It should have 2 axes with a spst switch in each of the 4 directions. Button shoulkd be ~1" diameter.
I have been through Digikey etc but only find small buttons.
These would be too fiddly in the application.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks Much
Evans_us:confused:

premelec

So many ways to do it...
Reed switches with spring or foam central magnets button;
section of membrane keypad cut from old keyboard...
Hall effect devices...
Photo interrupters...
Capacitive sense...
Micro switches...

Probably you should say more about the _mechanical_ specs... force, travel etc...

Haku

I had a quick look on Farnell, the 4-way switches I found were either too small for your needs or big + industrial + very expensive.

What about using the D-pad from an actual game controller? hacking up a cheap controller just for the D-pad.

evans_us

Hi guys
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I especially liked the Ocean joystick and have bookmarked the ocean controls site for a future project with their joystick control but my needs for current project is a 4 way switch. I have implemented this with tactile switches and buttons but would like the cleaner look of the D-pad like button. I have looked for a 4 position keypad (Up, Down, Back and FWD (or Enter)) but can only find 1x4 arrays. A 2x2 array would look so much better. I saw a nav button with 2 axes and SPST switches in each direction and press down to enter (http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/961111-switch-navigation-4dir-cntr-push-js1200aaq.html) however, the button will be on the front of an instrument box and a small button would be hard to access. I need the same functionality as the tactile switches in a single larger button (About 1" diameter).
Any other throughts much welcomed
Cheers
After posting this I followed some threads in other posts and came across this:
http://canada.newark.com/mec/navikitth09wl/switch-kit-spno-black/dp/53M9433
This is the exact product I wa slooking for - a little pricey at $20 but will definitely work for my needs.
Anyone have any experience with this unit before I order one next week.
Evans_us:)

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Anyone have any experience with this unit before I order one next week.

Looks like five normally-open switches. Probably no different to what you previously implemented yourself using individual swiitches.