Mounting an LCD screen in an enclosure

GDSever

Not directly a PICAXE question, although I will be using a 28x1 to output data to the LCD screen... so apologies in advance. I have been playing around with the Blue LCD display unit from P. H. Anderson:

http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd108.html

I have considered using it in my current project, however I am at a loss for how to adequately mount this unit in the front of the enclosure. Cutting the hole to the proper size is not the issue, nor is the standoff to hold the board in place - however it seems like there should be some sort of strain relief / trim that should go around the LCD and hold in in place. It did not come with one, so I am left to my own devices and ingenuity to come up with something or find it online... so far nothing.

Anybody got some good ideas? The LCD is not a critical component to the project (definitely falls in the "window dressing" category), but it sure would look nice.

GDSever

The technical term for what you are looking for is "bezel".

They are out there but expensive.

Myc
Thanks for the lead.

As for expensive - Most of my hobbies are :D Or at least the way that I choose to pursue them is... :eek: Do I really _need_ a 28 gallon stainless steel kettle w/ thermometer and 1/2" 3-piece ball valve to brew my beer? No... but it sure does look sweet...

Fortunately I have a *very* understanding and overindulgent wife.

kevrus

Mycroft, you're right, they are expensive in comparison to the LCD, especially the displays on E-bay. I chose to use them as I couldnt find anything else to give a decent finish...
maybe a fool and his money are easily parted??

Mycroft2152

Kevrus,

I've actually been there and done exactly the same thing. I also spent a lot of dollars on the project box, a BUD Compucase. It all depends on the budget for that project and the overall effect desired. It was all worth it. :)

I'm going to have to dig out the project and take a few photos. It was a multi position model rocket countdown system with timers built from TTL gates and used at the nationals. the board was all hand wired with magnet wire.

Myc

Andrew Cowan

I have that display, and to fit it, I cut a hole the same size as the screen in my MDF, and shoved it in (gently). On other screens, I have also added double sided foam sticky pads to the PCB.

For larger projects the "T" style case with a clear plastic window might work, like the Hammond 1592ETCDBK (Newark had this one). Still some work to do tho, because you have to position and standoff the LCD to the back side case. Too bad they didn't have one half the size for half the price.