minimum 08m voltage?

marcos.placona

It runs fine here with 2 batteries. I believe it'll just be really reliable when running from 3 cells, but you can get it to run with 3v with no problems

marcos.placona

Just remember that you can never go over 5 volts, and you should be fine. You can't fry a picaxe with low power, but going over the limit will produce BSOD (Black smoke of death) :D

gengis

I've one application where I'm using an 08M at 2.7 volts - two alkaline cells and a diode dropping .3 volts. I program it at 3 volts out of the circuit.

pichutch

Has anyone here tried one of those 3v camera batteries? I think they are called CR2's.
I'm looking for a small battery source to power a picaxe project mounted in a picture frame.

papaof2

If you're thinking of the CR23 lithium battery, it should work fine for powering some of the PICAXE chips (08M, 14) but may not be adequate for the the bigger chips (28, 40).

In any case, you may need more than 3 volts to *program* the PICAXE, depending on which chip you are using.

Someone posted a list of voltage levels required to operate/program various chips but I don't have the link for it.

John

westaust55

From the data sheet:

Code:
VDD Supply Voltage 
Min   Typ   Max   Freq
2.0   —     5.5    FOSC < = 8 MHz: HFINTOSC, EC
2.0   —     5.5    FOSC < = 4 MHz 
3.0   —     5.5    FOSC < = 10 MHz
4.5   —     5.5   FOSC < = 20 MHz

From this you can operate a PICAXE from as low as 2.0V but should power it from around 4.5 to 5V when downloading a program.