mathmatics problem

ciseco

Hi all,

I need a little assistance. I'm trying to read a voltage to 2 decimal places.

My DMM says 12.84v, the 10 bit reading across a potential divider is 864, so in excel I can simply do - reading * 0.014861111 would equal the correct voltage.

I cannot figure out how to multiply by such a small number, what I want in the end is 4 ascii characters so I can format it easily b0,b1,".",b2,b3 sort of thing

Can anyone assit?

Cheers

Miles
________
BMW R60/2

Last edited:

Dippy

Well, I don't want to get into a precision argument or ADC resolution argument or reference accuracy argument here, but...

"I cannot figure out how to multiply by such a small number"
.. how about dividing?
I'm sure a clever chap like you can work out some multipier/divider factors to do it?

After all, you are dividing by 67.29 aren't you.
If you look into multiplying and then dividing and looking at remainders you can work it out.

If <900 is as big as the ADC returned value gets then you have plenty of numeric 'headroom' using a word variable for multiplication then division.
You can do it.

ciseco

Dippy,

FSD at 1024 is nearly 15v, PSU only goes to 14.93 or something

My brain cannot compute it what so ever, I know I should be able to thats the frustrating bit but I just cant visualise it, unless you mean 8640000/6729 but thats over a word value?

Call me thick, call me stupid but I cant (laughing) figure it out.

Miles :confused:
________
weed vaporizers

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Well, I don't want to get into a precision argument or ADC resolution argument or reference accuracy argument here, but...
OK then, I'll do it.

Ciseco,why do you want 2 decimal places when the ADC is only good for one?
For a close approximation, multiply you ADC reading by 10, then divide by 67. Then display accordingly.
You can play with the numbers such as *20/134.
Use Excel to make list of M/N (both integers) where M must be less than 64 to remain within the bounds of a word variable.
You can also make a small adjustment to the potential divider to make the maths easier!

Mycroft2152

Hi all,

I need a little assistance. I'm trying to read a voltage to 2 decimal places.

My DMM says 12.84v, the 10 bit reading across a potential divider is 864, so in excel I can simply do - reading * 0.014861111 would equal the correct voltage.

I cannot figure out how to multiply by such a small number, what I want in the end is 4 ascii characters so I can format it easily b0,b1,".",b2,b3 sort of thing

Can anyone assit?

Cheers

Miles
Ciseco,

With all due respect, integer math is a pretty elementary problem and has been discussed on the forum previously.

It is not somethng that I would expect from a self proclaimed retired executive who is trying to make a few dollars off of the forum members.

There is a world of difference between a student asking for mentoring advice to solve a problem and a business looking for quick and cheap solutions for potential protducts.

It is as if Bill Gates posted a question on th3e forum on how to use a mouse!

Myc

Dippy

Are you in charge of Company Accounts ;)

Work out a starting point.

12.84 = 864 / x
x = 864 / 12.84

x= 67.29

Obv you can't do floating point math in PICAXE and if you say
result = 864/67 you will lose a bit of res.

But how about if you said
8640/673 i.e. multiply it by 10

So, a drop of code like:
Code:
symbol ADCR=w0
symbol Divider = w1
symbol Result = w2
symbol R  = w3
symbol DecR = w4

Divider = 673			' Conversion factor to one dec place
ADCR    = 864			' Example ADC read value

Result = ADCR*10/Divider
R      = ADCR*10//Divider	' Remainder never more than 673
DecR   = R*50/Divider		' Can't mult by 100 so do 50
DecR   = DecR * 2			' then double the result

' "Result" is integer part, "DecR" is the decimal part with a little error. Life's tough.
I haven't tested it out on all numbers, it's merely something to get your teeth into.
Took me 2 minutes, so needs tarting up.

ciseco

Mycroft,

That's more than a little unfair for a number of reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong tech supplies makes money out of all of us, I see no problem with them being in business any more than me.

The last 7 months of my life have gone into what I'm doing now (I hadnt even seen a PICAXE or for that any microcontroller up untill then), no income, and as I've mentioned before to you, it's all open source, you don't have to pay me if you dont want to. Yep I recycle your advice for my and many others benefit, I see no harm in that. Is it because you arent getting paid that you have issue? If true, who is the greater pariah, you or I?

I guess the wireless house hold electricity meter monitor I'm just writing the documentation to, you'll not want to build or buy (some people don't want to solder and program, just want to buy kit, and I'm happy to sell it, nothing wrong in either).

Perhaps you'd like to pour scorn on the whole house heating system I'm working on so people can save energy or perhaps the home automation stuff, which could help so many people in so many ways.

Elementary or not, I could not see the wood for the trees. I don't mind a laugh at my expense and even invited it (knowing it was going to happen), but your comments are too strong and ill-informed about my business or my reasons for it's existance.

If you opened your eyes a little wider, you might just realise we both like to help others it's just our approach that may be different.

Miles
________
iolite vaporizer

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Mycroft,

That's more than a little unfair for a number of reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong tech supplies makes money out of all of us, I see no problem with them being in business any more than me.

The last 7 months of my life have gone into what I'm doing now (I hadnt even seen a PICAXE or for that any microcontroller up untill then), no income, and as I've mentioned before to you, it's all open source, you don't have to pay me if you dont want to. Yep I recycle your advice for my and many others benefit, I see no harm in that. Is it because you arent getting paid that you have issue? If true, who is the greater pariah, you or I?

I guess the wireless house hold electricity meter monitor I'm just writing the documentation to, you'll not want to build or buy (some people don't want to solder and program, just want to buy kit, and I'm happy to sell it, nothing wrong in either).

Perhaps you'd like to pour scorn on the whole house heating system I'm working on so people can save energy or perhaps the home automation stuff, which could help so many people in so many ways.

Elementary or not, I could not see the wood for the trees. I don't mind a laugh at my expense and even invited it (knowing it was going to happen), but your comments are too strong and ill-informed about my business or my reasons for it's existance.

If you opened your eyes a little wider, you might just realise we both like to help others it's just our approach that may be different.

Miles
Ciseco,

Let's get your facts right. Tech Supplies is part of Rev_Ed, the same business.

My firwt impression of your website was that it was either an university level marketing project or a prospectus for ventre capital. it was filled with all the coprrect buzz words and very light on substance and technical competance.

You have proven my point.

Your technique of tapping into the forum's free expertise to develop products four your own personal profit is dishonest and distasteful.

Myc

TANSTAAFL*

*If you don't know what that means, do a forum search or GOOGLE. it may be a new experience and ultimately profitable.

Dippy

Please calm down gentlemen. Let's keep this nice.

I think pariah is going too far. Perhaps that wasn't the word you meant to use? (as it doesn't make much sense in that context anyway and getting sarcy won't help the Corporate image).

Ciseco, with resepect, I think it's the impression you give that concerns people.
I may be wrong but your last post appeared combined both altruism , personal hurt and a commercial sales side. A tricky mix.
I just ask you to be a little gentle with criticism.

Yes, your very smart site repeatedly says 'open' and then the licensing (for non-private customers) says:-
"The information provided on this website, by email, printed or even other means relating to sensor design, the protocol and software code or code snippets, is stricly the copyright of CISECO PLC."

which means that some code supplied to you from this Forum then becomes your Company's property does it not?
And then sold to non-private customers at £1 per unit.
Not vast and not greedy. Fair enough.
But it does mean that code provided free-of-charge by Forum members can be owned and sold by your Company.
Sure you can change a variable name here and there and mix the lines around to make it look different.

And your site invites people to Invest money. Fair enough. But check out this Forum's T&Cs.

AND your Forum name is your Company's name and then you advertise the Company on your Forum tag-line.

So, do you really wonder why people are a little bit in two minds to help?

Oh and my suggestion was provided free-of-charge. No need to thank me for the advice albeit rushed and untidy. And don't forget that even re-jiggled it's my property.

So be gentle and understanding.

PS. And if it gets bichy I shall use the 'Edit' button.

Last edited:

ciseco

Hi,

I am fully aware of the relationship between the two.

There's a lot more documentation coming, but there's only so much I can do in a day, sorry it's not yet to your standards, maybe you could help improve what?s there although I very much doubt you'll assist though, shame, it would really help, you obviously have some talent in such things.

I don't claim any such technical competence. I'm trying to fill a need I saw in the market, read the site more fully perhaps, like why I started doing it.

It's hardly "a technique" asking a question. I could masquerade as someone else if I felt I was being underhand, but I don't.

Also the "real invention" if there is such a thing, has been no ones idea but my own going back a number of years. Do you see anyone else here writing free PC code, supplying interface circuits, protocol definitions, microcontroller code and circuit diagrams for a general purpose wireless sensor?

Dr A comes close with what he's doing, but I'm sure he'll admit he's not put 7 months 5 days a week into it.

I've always been honest about what I'm doing

Taste is a personal thing, I don't like peanuts some people do.

You are right I didn?t know what I meant, surprisingly I'm evidence that you can actually get something for nothing. I give away all I know without charge, it is so ironic you chose something like that :)

I'm happy helping others paid or not, what is your issue, I still have food to put on the table and bills like everyone else, are you saying I don't deserve to make a living?

Miles
________
how to roll blunts

Last edited:

ciseco

Sorry Dippy but myc really got my hackles up, I'm trying to do something for the good of others and make a living, why do the two have to be at odds with each other?

There's nothing I feel thats a cut and paste of anyones work here, that would be unfair, I ask, I try to understand and then recompose with the knowledge you have all given me and for that I am exceedingly grateful.

How would you like the copyright statement to read? I am willing to change it.

We need investment to take this forward be that time or money.

I registered the name long ago, I'm happy to change it. I've seens others with their url, I'm also happy to change that if it offends.

I was about to thank you, sorry I should have before replying to Myc

Miles

Here's the nearly finished code for electricity monitor + other goodies, if anyone feels I have taken anything from them I'll happily redo that piece. I know it's messy, I will tidy later once it's fully functioning.

Code:
'CISECO PLC (c) 2008 - Electricty monitor v1.5 on v1.2 dev board, with temp and output relay and music and 12v battery mon
init:
setfreq m4
disablebod
'calibfreq -4'work around for some older 28x1's
symbol BAUD=T4800_4'set baud rate, can be any but needs to match the XBee setup
symbol XBEEdataoutPIN=4'output 4 is used to send data to the XBee
symbol XBEEdatainPIN=7'input 7 is used to recieve data from the XBee
symbol s1="E" 'serial code part 1
symbol s2="M" 'serial code part 2
gosub XBEEwake
pause 200
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"STARTED-") 'send alert to say the sensor has started
pause 100
'###############################################################################   
'start the background counter
Poke $0F, 0	' clear high bytes of Timer1
Poke $0E, 0 ' clear low bytes of Timer1
Poke $10, $03 ' set T1CON for Timer1
'###############################################################################    
main:
b0=""
serin XBEEdatainPIN,BAUD,("a"),b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10
sertxd ("COMMAND RECIEVED a",b0,b1,b2,b3,b4,b5,b6,b7,b8,b9,b10, 13, 10) 'echo the command to the programming editor, useful for debugging, can be deleted
if b0<>"C" then main 'ignore anything not a command
if b1<>s1 then main 'ignore anything not for this sensor first digit
if b2<>s2 then main 'ignore anything not for this sensor second digit
if b3="E" then echo_proc
if b3="Y" then capabilities_proc
if b3="C" then counter_proc
if b3="W" then version_proc
if b3="Z" and b4="Z" then sleep_proc
if b3="T" then temp_proc
if b3="O" then output_proc
if b3="M" then music_proc
if b3="R" then read_proc
goto main
read_proc:
if b4="0" then 'READ CHANNEL 0 IN (E)IGHT, (T)EN BIT or (V) volts MODE

if b5="E" then readadc 0,b0
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"R1E",#b0,"----")
	goto main
	endif

if b5="T" then readadc10 0,w0
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"R1T",#w0,"----")
	goto main
	endif

if b5="V" then readadc10 0,w5
	'convert
	w0=w5*64/430	
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"R1V",#w0,"----")
	goto main
	endif

endif

goto main

music_proc:
play 3,0'piezo sounder on output 3
goto main
counter_proc:
if b4="A" and b5="D" then 'decrement by the value sentin plain 5 digit ascii - ie 00009
  w6=0'clear then add bytes b6,b7,b8,b9,b10 up to make a decimal number, convert to lowest and highest bit and deduct from the counter
  b6=b6-48 'an ascii 0 is actually considered 48
  w1=b6*10000
  w6=w6+w1  
  b7=b7-48
  w1=b7*1000
  w6=w6+w1  
  b8=b8-48
  w1=b8*100
  w6=w6+w1  
  b9=b9-48
  w1=b9*10
  w6=w6+w1
  b10=b10-48
  w6=w6+b10
 'read the counter into w7 and take the sent number (w6) away from the counter
  Peek $0F, b15
  Peek $0E, b14
  w7=w7-w6
  Poke $0F, b15
  Poke $0E, b14
 'send an acknowledgement back stating the number deleted
      if w6<10 then
 	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CAD0000",#w6)
 	goto main
 	endif

if w6<100 then
 	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CAD000",#w6)
 	goto main
 	endif

if w6<1000 then
 	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CAD00",#w6)
 	goto main
 	endif

if w6<10000 then
 	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CAD0",#w6)
 	goto main
 	endif

serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CAD",#w6)

endif
'send an acknowledgement back stating the current counter value
if b4="A" and b5="-" then
     Peek $0F, b13
     Peek $0E, b12

if w6<10 then
     serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CA-0000",#w6)
     goto main
     endif

if w6<100 then
     serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CA-000",#w6)
     goto main
     endif

if w6<1000 then
     serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CA-00",#w6)
     goto main
     endif

if w6<10000 then
     serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CA-0",#w6)
     goto main
     endif

serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CA-",#w6)

endif

if b4="A" and b5="R" and b6="E" and b7="S" and b8="E" and b9="T" then
	Poke $0F, 0	' clear high bytes of Timer1
	Poke $0E, 0 ' clear low bytes of Timer1
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"CARESET-")'send an acknowledgement back stating the counter has been reset
	goto main
endif  

goto main
output_proc:
if b4="0" and b5="0" then low 0
endif
if b4="0" and b5="1" then high 0
endif
if b4="1" and b5="0" then low 1
endif
if b4="1" and b5="1" then high 1
endif
if b4="2" and b5="0" then low 2
endif
if b4="2" and b5="1" then high 2
endif
if b4="3" and b5="0" then low 3
endif
if b4="3" and b5="1" then high 3
endif
if b4="4" and b5="0" then low 4
endif
if b4="4" and b5="1" then high 4
endif
if b4="5" or b4="R" and b5="0" then low 5'onboard relay
endif
if b4="5" or b4="R" and b5="1" then high 5'onboard relay
endif
if b4="6" and b5="0" then low 6
endif
if b4="6" and b5="1" then high 6
endif
if b4="L" and b5="1" then high portc 1'onboard LED
endif
if b4="L" and b5="0" then low portc 1'onboard LED
endif
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"O",b4,b5,"-----")
goto main
sleep_proc:
'RESET- a soft reboot
if b5="R" and b6="E" and b7="S" and b8="E" and b9="T" then
reset
endif
'DOWN - permanently sleep
if b5="D" and b6="O" and b7="W" and b8="N"then 
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"ZZDOWN--")
pause 100
gosub XBEEsleep
pause 100
end
goto main
endif

'SLEEP XBee and pause, leaves the microcontroller on still
if b10="S" or b10="M" or b10="Z" then

w6=0'clear then add bytes b6,b7,b8,b9,b10 up to make a decimal number, convert to lowest and highest bit and deduct from the counter
  b5=b5-48 'an ascii 0 is actually considered 48
  w1=b5*10000
  w6=w6+w1

b6=b6-48
  w1=b6*1000
  w6=w6+w1  

b7=b7-48
  w1=b7*100
  w6=w6+w1  

b8=b8-48
  w1=b8*10
  w6=w6+w1

b9=b9-48
  w6=w6+b9

if b10="Z" then'SLEEP the entire unit, stops all functions till it re wakes
sertxd ("SLEEP",#w6)
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"SLEEPING")
pause 200
gosub XBEEsleep
sleep w6
gosub XBEEwake
pause 100
sertxd ("AWAKE")
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"AWAKE---")
goto main
endif

if b10="S" then 
  let w2=1000
  w6=w6-1
  if w6=65535 then 
  let w6=0
  endif
  endif
  if b10="M" then let w2=60000
  endif
  serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"SNOOZING")
  pause 500 
  gosub XBEEsleep
  if w6=0 then goto jump
  for w1=1 to w6
  pause w2
  next w1
  jump:
  gosub XBEEwake
  pause 500
  serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aA",s1,s2,"AWAKE---")
endif
goto main
temp_proc:

if b4="5" then
	readtemp12 5,w3
	' the dallas sensor gives back a reading that needs converting to degrees C
	' as the first bits contain the sign + or - 

b3 = w3 / 256 / 128
	if b3 = 1 then 
	w3 = w3 ^ $ffff + 1
	b10="-"
	else
	b10="+"
	endif
	w3 = w3 * 10 / 16
	b12 = w3 / 10
	b13 = w3 // 10
	if b12 < 10 then
	b11="0"
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"T5",b10,"0",#b12,".",#b13,"-")

else
	serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",s1,s2,"T5",b10,#b12,".",#b13,"-")

endif
	endif

goto main

version_proc:
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,(b1,b2,"CISECO PLC Electricty monitor v1.3")
goto main
capabilities_proc:
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,(b1,b2,",E,Y,CA,CAD,CARESET,W,ZZxxxxxS,ZZxxxxxM,ZZDOWN,ZZxxxxxZ")
goto main
echo_proc:
serout XBEEdataoutPIN,BAUD,("aR",b1,b2,"HERE----")
goto main
XBEEwake:
high 6'take XBee SLEEP pin high
high 4'take XBee DATA pin high
high 7'take XBee RESET pin high
return
XBEEsleep:
low 6'take XBee SLEEP pin low
low 4'take XBee DATA pin low
low 7'take XBee RESET pin low
return
goto main
________
Mercedes-Benz OM602 engine history

Last edited:

ciseco

I'm often too honest for my own good, been told too many times :(

I do appricate everyones help, really I do, I only come asking when I'm stuck, see the code it's all me every nut and bolt even the

w0=w5*64/430

which was from your collective input, wasnt just a cut and paste, I read, I understood and went for what would squeeze into 65535, not that it helped gain the final 2nd digit :(

I'll work on that tommorow even if it's not worth doing voltage resolution wise, I still have a hunger for a solution so I can reapply at a later point, I'm guessing the solution lies in long division, not that I can recall how to do it.

I hope myc comes to realise what I'm doing is bourne from a desire to help and a desire not to starve :)

Miles
________
vaporizers

Last edited:

ciseco

Myc

"If not, a 'free lunch' can be had through a more efficient utilisation of resources" - source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TANSTAAFL

Saving energy, thats what I aim to do with all this, save people money and the earths resources, why the animosity, I'm only trying to do what our planet deserves.

Come on lets not fight.

Misses is demanding I get off the PC now.

Miles
________
Honda DN-01

Last edited:

ciseco

Misses has gone for a shower, not talking to me :(

Rick you'll have to trust me on that one, being british you might know of Ken Boak (wastewatts, navitron, etc etc) we have similar perspectives on life, he's started to port the protocol (as has a guy in NZ) onto some of his kit and is giving some of his wisdom to some of the up coming products.

I just wish Myc could see I'm not on this planet for just my gain, it's win-win that counts, "socialised power" is is what they called it on some course when I worked for Egg the same thing that drives mandella and others (not that I draw a parralell with him)

I won't wait for this government to do anything, smart metering has been around for ages but who's using it, me maybe, none of my friends or family are, I'll stand and be counted for trying in some small way to help.

Maybe thats why I got so defensive, I truly am trying to do good and cannot see why when most people won't ever go near a microcontroller it's not understandable to sell them a finished article, supported and yes at a profit and not a huge one.

I come from a commercial background sure, maybe thats why the message appears mixed, I knew I'd not get it right first time around hopefully with some constructive criticism I can make it all more clear.

I can hear the shower's off, gotta go.

Miles

ooops forgot to turn the sig off
________
Plymouth Savoy specifications

Last edited:

evanh

What's missing in the replies so far is that you need to extract the decimal places using integer math.

Jeremy Leach

Here's my interpretation (I just like trying to work these things out!) and hope I'm not barking up wrong tree...

864 is the ADC reading for 1284 hundreth Volts (as you want to work to 2 dp)
So 1 ADC reading = 1284/864 = 107/72
So the voltage reading (in hundreths) = ADCValue * 107/72

If the ADC Value can go up to 1023 then the calc 1023 * 107 > 65536 so there will be overflow. In fact any ADCValue >= 613 will cause overflow. However any overflow will only be one bit, which actually makes this simple to code. If VoltageW, and ADCValueW are both word variables (symbols) then ....

Code:
VoltageW = ADCValueW * 107 / 72
If ADCValueW >=613 Then
    VoltageW = VoltageW + 910
End if
This actually works well simulated in excel although haven't run it through sim. VoltageW gives the voltage to two decimal places, obviously as a number. So 12.34 volts will be the number 1234.

A bit more explanation ...
ADCValueW * 107 can be thought of as a most and least significant word value result, MSW and LSW.

So ADCValue * 107/72 = (MSW * 65536)/72 + (LSW/72)
Here the MSW is either 1 or 0, so 65536/72 = 910.

Bye the way, I've got a cheap casio fx-83ES calculator from the supermarket which has the really handy feature of automatically reducing fractions. Comes in very handy.

And second BTW, this also helps me with my code !!!

Last edited:

Mycroft2152

Ciseco,

Oh, please.

Your abiltiy for rationalisation, self delusion and false altruism is astounding. But, I guess that is the hallmark of a marketeer.

"Saving the world" is only secondary to "lining your pockets".

Let's look at a few of your "points".

"Helping others" -- Most memvber a of this forum are involved for the sheer joy of the hobby, with no expectation of profit. They will lend a hand in a similar manner to a good samaritan who stops by the roadside to help fix a flat tire. You are asking these good samaritans to give a full day's work at the factory so that you can make more money.

"Open source" -- for some reason you feel tha using the term "open source" makes everything ok. Check Sparkfun, most of theier projects have designs, software and pcbs listed without hiong behojd the "Open Source' terminology. There are a number of "Open source" permisssions that can be granted. GOOGLE is your friend if you have any questions.

PT Barnum would be very proud of you.

As he is quoted as saying, "there is a sucker born every minute"

This way to the egress ====>

westaust55

Looking at the CISECO PLC website, I see the logo of Microchip and the word picaxe predominantly on the left side of pages.

It is normal to state that these are the names/logos of the respective manufacturers (owners of) the products named.

With respect to accuracy and the request for 2 decimal places:

1. what is the % accuracy of the resistors?
2. what is the % accuracy of the PIC ADC channels?
3. Is the DMM you are using calibrated by a NATA or equivalent certified body?
4. what is the accuracy of the DMM?
5. What is the accuracy of any voltage, current. flow sensors being used in the circuit.
6. What is the accuracy in use of integer only maths?

When we start multiplying/dividing numbers all these accuracy values need to be added together to achieve the accuracy tolerance of the result.

It would in the first instance seem that two decimal places could be misleading to those using a prouct where the accurace could be of the order of 10% - thus 1 decimal place being sufficient.

ciseco

Myc

At a ?1 per device licence as Dippy mentioned (he took the time to read the site) it's hardly lining my pockets. The kit we build currently makes about 20% when you take into acount the manual production costs at just above minimum wage, around ?6-10 per device (we cant get them made here in the UK any cheaper). I don't see me making a kings ransom just yet.

I used to contract at ?1650 a week in London, if money were the motivating factor I'd still be doing it, but working for the government was soul destroying.

I see nothing wrong in expecting financial recompense for an item that has a physical cost to manufacture and also expect a profit for me to live on. I assume you work for a living also?

I use sparkfun myself, you site them as a shining light and I agree, I actually consider much of my business to be based on their openness, I'm sorry that you feel a similar message doesnt come across, maybe I'm not the marketeer you think I am.

For me this is more than a hobby, yes, should I be looked down upon for it? I think not but respectfully see you have every right to have any opinion. I just take great exception when it's based on nothing more than your cynicism of a felow human.

Now please lets stop this, as Jeremy has kindly engaged me in the original point of this post I should give him my attention and submit that persuading you is a lost cause.

Miles
________
cheap easy vape vaporizer

Last edited:

ciseco

Hi westaust55,

Cheers for explaining that in such detail, thats made it really clear, I now understand why.

I'm not now trying to get to 2dp, I'm hearing from you all that 1 is all that can be expected. It's just for my own interest that I can do such mathmatics, I just like to know how things work, which is one of the reasosn why I started playing with the PICAXE because it looked easy to pickup.

I'd expect to have to do some far more complex maths in future on some of the other planned products, so it's really for future reference and my own curiosity more than anything.

One guy has offered to port the protocol onto an ARM based 32 bit board running a similar basic so that's the other easy way out :)

I did the site myself so am unfamiliar with much of the etiquette, where would I put "It is normal to state that these are the names/logos of the respective manufacturers (owners of) the products named" and I'll do it in the morning?

Cheers

Miles
________
magic flight launch box

Last edited:

ciseco

Hi Jeremy,

I'll see if I can understand your example in the morning, getting tired now and Myc has fried my brain, but I think I understand, I'll whirl it into excel.

BTW love what you did with the weather station, I've got an old 1 wire one collecting dust that I thought I might butcher but time isn't on my side these days :(

I'd also like to produce a weather station for the aProtocol, would you consider helping in any way? Having got devices/code to read this, switch that, count this, all done and working I'm now starting to plan the nice to have's and I miss having my weather station :)

The code I posted earlier has a background counter so wind speed would just be a cut and paste of it, just wasnt sure about direction. Do like my 1 wire with reed switches or something like an encoded wheel and reflective IR, another option could be a sparkfun compass.

As a silly one, the thing I'd most like to have is a GPS reciever for the cat, I can get good distances with XBees and the right antennas, having a 60 ft mast destined for my wind turbine seems the ideal place for a whopping great omni to cat track :) I've got the current consumption down on a dev board to just over 1.5ma (sleep) so a little 800ma lipo battery might make this possible and easily run for a few days without charge.

Time for sleep now

Cheers

Miles
________
M Coupe

Last edited:

westaust55

I did the site myself so am unfamiliar with much of the etiquette, where would I put "It is normal to state that these are the names/logos of the respective manufacturers (owners of) the products named" and I'll do it in the morning?
I would suggest at the bototm of each page where the logos and names of comanies and products by others are mentioned or in some very prominent postion.

have a look at some of these examples:
From the Ricoh website:
Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server and ActiveX are the registered trade marks of Microsoft Corporation in America and other countries. ...

See this page:
http://www.wsp.ru/en/documentation/wsp/5.6/copyr_tm.htm

from www.canonfinance.co.nz:
Adobe and Creative Suite 2 are the registered trade marks of Adobe Systems. &#8482;. Macintosh is the registered trade mark of Apple Computer Inc. &#8482;. Microsoft ...
Look at the front page bottom right of this document from Canon:
http://www.canonfinance.co.nz/ftp/iprc1certifiedcourse_q1-01-07.pdf

And even at Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/jun01/06-18TrainSimShipsPR.mspx
Amtrak® , Acela SM and the Acela SM design logo are the registered trademarks and service marks of the National Railroad Passenger Corp. (Amtrak® ). All rights reserved.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

When one is branching out into business then there is a need to make yourself aware of such etiquette. While not a legal or financial type I do know that ignorance of the law is no excuse under the law. That is true for business and private purposes.
In law, the old adage "possession is nine tenths. . . . ." is far from true.

Even using information overheard on a two-way radio or when someone is talking loudly on a mobile phone can get you into legal trouble.

Last edited:

Jeremy Leach

I think I've got through my weather station phase now, and have enough trouble finishing my own projects ;) I thought this was going a bit off topic, so I just focussed on the maths !

ciseco

Hi, westaust55

Thanks for the links and advice. We've only been activly up and running for about two weeks so I'm sure there's still plenty of things I'll have got wrong and need tweaking.

I added this, it's constructed from what I've found on thier own respective sites, do you think this covers it?

Cheers

Miles

The Microchip name, logo and PIC are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology Inc

MaxStream is a trademark of MaxStream, Inc.

PICAXE? products are developed and distributed by Revolution Education Ltd. PICAXE? is a registered trademark licensed by Microchip Technology Inc. Revolution Education is not an agent or representative of Microchip and has no authority to bind Microchip in any way

All brand names and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
________
herbal grinder

Last edited:

westaust55

Logos and Registered Names

AS stated before I am not in the legal or finaincal or similar professions.

IMHO, with my layman's hat on, it is in the same vein as what other companies put up on the sites and include in their docuemnts and may be okay.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Both Rev-Ed and Microchip stipulate how they are to represented (logos etc.)and any specific wording where applicable. If you have any questions, you should contact them directly.