LCD help

julybride

Hi All,
I am completely new to electronics and am currently trying to undertake a leap of faith!!! for my first project. I am looking to use an LCD screen to display information about timing i.e. when the interval between times being measured gets to 5 minutes display this message. I (at the moment) think I'll do okay with the programming. Unfortunately I think the screen picaxe have is too big. Does anyone have experience of using other manufacturers LCD screens with picaxe?

Any suggestions where i may be able to purchase a smaller screen?

Thanks

BeanieBots

Welcome to the forum!

To be quite honest, when it comes to displays, none really come any cheaper, easier or smaller than Rev-Ed's own AXE033 2 line by sixteen character LCD screen.

I've used many (>20) different types of the 1000's that you could choose from. It would be impossible to list all the pro's & con's here. I would strongly suggest to only look at ones with a serial interface unless you don't mind using up a significant amount of your PICAXE I/O pins and memory.

First things to decide are:-
budget
size
colour
backlit or not.

If you can answer those, then maybe somebody can point you to a site.
Otherwise it's use google and browse for a day or two!

Try "Scott Edwards" as a starting point.

Last edited:

kevrus

As BB says, the Rev-Ed display would be a safe bet. I can highly recommend the serial LCD driver chip from Rev-Ed, it works a treat. You will need to incorporate it into your pcb, or (as I do), design a piggyback board for the display.
I have seen a small 2 x 8 display on ebay which may be of interest.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
With a larger display it should be possible to use the internal programmable characters of the LCD to create a 'chunky digit' display which may be more readable.

When starting out it is is always best to minimise the chances of something going wrong or you can end up not only delayed but also completely side-tracked on ancillary issues; "Why doesn't my display work" ? Serial LCD's are also a lot simpler than parallel if you've no prior experience of them and far easier to work with.

You can always get your project working then decide if you want to use a different LCD and use what you already have in a later project.

westaust55

Which LCD to use

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

A further advantage of the Rev Ed AXE033 LCD display is that many forum members do have one and understand how it works so answering questions will be easier should the need arise.

Additonally, the AXE033 can be fitterd with a real time clock chip to display the time. IF you have a PICAXE with the letter "X" in the name (eg 18X or 28X1) then you can also read the time into the PICAXE chip for use witin you programs.

Tom2000

Hi All,
Unfortunately I think the screen picaxe have is too big. Does anyone have experience of using other manufacturers LCD screens with picaxe?

Any suggestions where i may be able to purchase a smaller screen?

Thanks
Brian at Wulfden sells a very nice Hantronix backlighted miniature 16x2 LCD and 0.1" spacing conversion socket at a reasonable price.

He ships internationally, too.

Good luck!

Tom