LCD Backlight

alband

Hello all.
There is a very PICAXE compatible LCD display called AXE033. I will be getting it from rapid electronics because I'm buying other stuff from them anyway but be assured, it's exactly the same piece. If you look at page 5 in the following link (this datasheet can also be found on the PICAXE website under protects), you can see it mentions a backlight. Has anyone previously bought an AXE033 and know about the backlight e.g. where to get it, part no., installation.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe033.pdf

And also would any of these work?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Optoelectronics/LCDs-And-Accessories/LED-Backlight-panels/34588/kw/Backlight

Thanks.

eclectic

Attachments

Last edited:

alband

That's wierd, in the datasheet it says
LCD Backlight (LCD) (the LCD provided in the kit does not have a backlight). When a backlight is fitted the LCD connections allows power to be applied to the backlight. Note that you must also have soldered the ‘A’ and ‘K’ connections on the LCD and added a resistor to position RB on the pcb to use this feature. See your LCD datasheet for suitable power and resistor values.
Any idea what that's about?

Gypsy

Alband, As I understand the LCD supplied with the AXE033 is the Reflective type, which cannot be backlit. Transmissive LCD displays have to be backlit, and Transflective ones, daylight visible, are backlit for night-time viewing.

Mine is very easy to use and works well. My only issue is how to mount it, tidily and waterproof, in a box - it does not come with a bezel to hide jagged edges.

alband

hmm...
That datasheet must be for a few different types of display.
How easy is the display to read in daylight/poor light?
Thanks

ciseco

Daylight is fine, I've bought BL ones since for that very reason, I'm not saying it's bad, just BL ones are easier to read in dim lighting, only my opinion though, sure someone will have other thoughts, and I do wear glasses :)

Miles
________
vaporizer store

Last edited:

westaust55

LCD Backlight for AXE033

I believe that ALL AXE033 LCD modules bought from Rev Ed do NOT include a backlight.

There is provision made available for those who substitute an alternative LCD module that includes a backlight.

Some have previously asked on this forum about using a 4 x 20 character display in lieu of the supplied 2 x 16 LCD module. Technical (from memory) has confirmed that the larger displays can be handled.

There is some trackwork on the AXE033 piggy-back serial to parallel adapter board with the i2c/serialcomms and RTC socket to accommodate a backlight (you need to add a resistor and connect a power source.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Reading the AXE033 this appears to be a self-assembly kit with the LCD supplied separate to the main driver board so any LCD with the right pinout can be connected directly to it, or via cable if pinout is different.

The AXE033.PDF gives the impression that there is a 16-way connector although only 14 pins are usually used; the other two are usually for backlight. I have no idea how that's wired up or needs wiring up; it often depends on the LCD, some need a low-value R, some do not as it's built in. I usually connect the backlight to +V/0V on the LCD itself so it can work anyway with just the 14-pin connector which is fine if you're happy with always on backlighting.

Some LCD modules allow a backlight to be slipped between the PCB and the glass but most do not. Such backlights are usually quite expensive in my experience anyway.

One recommendation I have is not to connect driver PCB to LCD using just molex pins and soldered, but to use pins on the LCD and pin sockets on the driver. That way the LCD can be removed and used with other drivers and backlight / non-backlight LCD's can be swapped around projects. With pins on the driver and LCD it's usually possible to have the LCD on the end of a ribbon cable as long as it's not too long. I've managed three feet over a conveniently to hand 40-way IDE cable but that was with my own control software so probably better than the AXE033 will manage.

BeanieBots

Just to confirm:-
The AXE033 does NOT have a backlight and the LCD part CANNOT take one.
However, the control board DOES make provision to drive an (alternatively sourced) LCD with backlight. All you have to do is fit a suitable resistor and connect the extra two pins.

The LCD which comes with the AXE033 is only reflective (cannot be back lit) but the contrast ratio is extremely good and is quite readable from full sunlight down to levels good enough to read a book. Many backlit versions cannot be read is full sunlight.

alband

I'm designing for dark indoor shooting gallery conditions and so have found a LCD with backlight and the Serial LCD firmware from Rev-ed.
The LCD is a 1x16 one from rapid.
Should work?

westaust55

Without knowing exactly which 1 line LCD you have from Rapid I would take a shot at saying that you should be able to make it work. It may be a straight conenction.

But you then mention the Rev Ed firmware !
Is this just the firmware chip you are now talking about or the serial/i2c piggy back board from the AXE033 module.

Some more clarity about exactly what parts you are intending to use would be very useful in getting a firm answer.

westaust55

The Rapid part is using the relatively standard 14 control pins plus 2 for the backlight.

You should be able to connect up by just following the schematic on page 3 of the FRM010 manual.