LCD and RTC 033/034 Modules

Silkjc

Hi all,
Just getting into the world of Picaxe with a project...
I am attempting to automate several tasks, including the control of a few relays and solonoids. These components need to be operated at set times throughout the day, for various durations. I wish to be able to adjust the timing intervals and duration through the use of several dials, and display the current system settings to an LCD. From the research i've done it appears the easiest way to do this would be through the use of the AXE033 LCD and 034 timing modules, using the alarm out signal as an input to my Picaxe chip.

My questions are:

Are these modules appropriate for my needs?

When interfacing the modules using ic2 to a standard Picaxe, will I be able to not only read the time value and display it to the LCD, but also display other variables on the first LCD line? From what I gather the data flow is as follows:

RTC -----i2c----> Picaxe -----> LCD
Is this correct? Will I need a specific model Picaxe or do all models have i2c input capability? From the axe manual the Pic 08 series chips do not support i2c?

Can the alarm time be set at runtime using the interfaced Picaxe chip, allowing me to control when the alarm will activate without the need for reprogramming? The documentation says this would be done through the use of a serial out with writecode 8 or 9, ie.
serout 7,N2400, (253,8,”00/00/00 07:30 ”)

Sorry if these questions seem rather obvious. :)

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The AXE033 and AXE034 seem suited to what you want to do. You can gain access to all RTC and LCD abilities and put any information up on the display under program control. The AXE033.PDF is the best reference.

If you are doing multiple alarms it may be simpler to hold those times / periods within the PICAXE, read the RTC, compare against what's held then do whatever needs to be done rather than using the RTC alarm capabilities. This avoids any necessity to program the alarm at all, just needing an initial programming to set the current time and any adjustments along the way, drift and DST.

Only certain PICAXE's support native I2C; 18X, 28X1, 28X2, 40X1 and 40X2. One of these would be the best choice.

Silkjc

Many thanks for you quick response hippy, to the first of what i'm sure to be is a large amount of questions :)