IR one button with out locking up

bull10x

I am new to the pickaxe world. I got in to it because my wife was making Roman shades for the house. (It has been cold in Maine and fuel costs are high. She said that it would be cool if she could make shades that either open from the top or the bottom. Agoogeling I wet and came across the instructable for automating your own blinds for $15. I was jazzed at the concept and ordered the parts and started my research. I could have built the exact opener but the thought of incorporating an IR sensor seemed really cool. So with the research that I have done I came up with questions. . I cut a three leg IR receiver out of a Sony boom box so hopefully that will work I would like to have a single momentary contact switch work an IR sender

Q#1 can it be any sender or Sony compatible(I do not like the idea of using a Sony remote or universal remote because ideally I want to make the sender vary small I was thinking of putting the sender in a salt shaker like the cheep ones @ dinners and drilling the glass for the button to poke through and setting the sender in the cap.) The first blind that I am going to automate is in the kitchen..

Q#2 from what I have read it seems that the Picaxe will lock up till it gets another IR signal? I was thinking that if I could have the input of the IR =1 then time out to 0 then in the main program if pin 4 =1 and b3=1 than goto close, if pin4 =1 and b3=2than goto open.

Q#3Can I deconstruct a Sony remote for simple one button operation?

Q#4 can I have pin 4 = 1 or 2 ?

Q#5 I have a phono to 9pin cable that came with the starter pack. I need to go one more step and go to USB (I know that I could buy a dongle for it but it would be cheaper to cut two cables and splice them together. I saw in the posts that buying an older laptop is also a solution because it seems that dongles don’t always work)

Q#6 can I just bypass 9 pin and go to the USB and would I need some computer manipulation to get it to download?

Q#7 Hack? Did I hack apart the boom box to get to the IR sensor? Will I be hacking together a phono to USB cable? Will I be hacking together a blind opener? Will I be hacking the computer to get the cable to work? Am I a hack? (figured I should know if some one calls me one) I don’t know. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

SD2100

Have you thought about using wireless ???. Everything remote controlled I use to make was IR but now the wireless stuff is so cheap and small and is so easy to get working it seems the way to go, and you won't have to point your salt shaker at the receiver.:D

Last edited:

Peter M

Firsty welcome to the world of PICAXE.

Q#2 from what I have read it seems that the Picaxe will lock up till it gets another IR signal?
Depends on which PICAXE you use Have a look at the manuals that come with the software you downloaded

Q#3Can I deconstruct a Sony remote for simple one button operation?
Yes.... but unless you have a surplus, thats easy to do with an 08M

Q#4 can I have pin 4 = 1 or 2 ? I have a phono to 9pin cable that came with the starter pack. I need to go one more step and go to USB (I know that I could buy a dongle for it but it would be cheaper to cut two cables and splice them together.
Theres a bit more involved than just linking two or three wires together these things (dongles as you call them) have a usb to serial convertor chip built into the plug!

Q#1 can it be any sender or Sony compatible(I do not like the idea of using a Sony remote or universal remote because ideally I want to make the sender vary small I was thinking of putting the sender in a salt shaker like the cheep ones @ dinners and drilling the glass for the button to poke through and setting the sender in the cap.) The first blind that I am going to automate is in the kitchen..
You could use a surface mounted picaxe and probably nearly fit it all in the lid, depending the batteries??
By sender do you mean the infra red diode or the whole circuit?.... the picaxe system can transmit and receive sony codes via simple comands or pretty much any codes via a bit more coding (do a search for the more advanced option), but Sony coding works just fine.

Oh and can you take a breath between questions (bit of white space).... just makes it a little easier for old eyes to read....

take a look at the manuals... in particular the "infra" commands, this should give you some ideas

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Peter M answers most of your questions so just to confirm -

To use USB for downloading you will need either an AXE027 USB to 3.5mm jack cable or a USB to 9-way serial cable plus a 9-way cable to 3.5mm jack. You cannot simply cut-and-splice cables.

The IR sensor pulled from the boom box may work but you will have to check it is compatible. We would recommend the LED020 IR Receiver.

You can use a PICAXE-08M as an IR transmitter as well as an IR receiver. You will need the LED021 IR LED which is compatible with the LED020.

While the INFRAIN commands are "blocking" ( it waits until it receives a code and will do nothing else until it does ), there are other mechanisms to overcome that. This thread discusses some of those and I believe there have been similar projects to what you are planning previously discussed on the forum -

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11397