Internet/intranet to PICAXE

Lt_Sniper

Basicly im trying to get a PC to send a simple string via IP (TCP or UDP) to a PICAXE who then then interperate this sting and display an appropriate lighting level as an output.

Communications only needs to be one way, there is no real need for anything to be sent back to the PC.

A SimpleLAN box seems like overkill and would cost and arm and a leg for a few of these.

Whats the cheapest option of doing this?

steliosm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You need to provide more information about your project, eg. the distance between the PC and the PicAxe, number of PicAxe chips, etc. Why do you need to use IP for communicating between the PC and the PicAxe?

You could use simple RF radio modules (pretty cheap) to send the data or even ZigBee modules (bit more expensive). The PicAxe would be hooked up to the Receivers and the PC would be hooked up on the Transmitter. You could use the 'qualifier' trick in order to give a different ID to each receiver-PicAxe.

Lt_Sniper

The reason for needing to go IP is the distance between the individial PICAXE units and the PC/network and the ability to just add another PICAXE units in with a different IP.

Basicly its going to be used for lighting control but the lighting is going to have to change very rapidly (at least every second) so it will constantly get traffic from the PC. However im hoping to use a network switch so the PICAXE wont get flooded with other devices traffic.

From what I have read in this forum I should be able to get a SPI ethernet link going as long as my program isnt too large and the network not to bogged down with traffic.

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help so far :)

steliosm

The SimpleLan module will give you ease of use but you will need to make sure that your code running inside the PicAxe is fast enough and also that you re using a chip that supports asynchronous serial communications.

The simple RF modules can work happily in open-space installation and you also have the option to use a more powerful RF Transmitter to boost the signal. Each chip connected to an RF receiver can have it's own dedicated 'address' on order to receive data.

I can't quite understand the SPI ethernet link. You can either have an SPI link, Ethernet link or SPI-controlled Ethernet module.

Of course there are other alternatives to the SimpleLan, such as Xport and Wiznet.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ Lt_Sniper : I don't think you're going to be able to avoid using something like SimpleLan in some form or other. There are some Telnet modules which may be cheaper than the more capable ethernet modules and should be failrly easy to interface to being a simple serial stream.

Lt_Sniper

The SimpleLan module will give you ease of use but you will need to make sure that your code running inside the PicAxe is fast enough and also that you re using a chip that supports asynchronous serial communications.
I was looking at using a higher end chip such as the 18x or 28x

The simple RF modules can work happily in open-space installation and you also have the option to use a more powerful RF Transmitter to boost the signal. Each chip connected to an RF receiver can have it's own dedicated 'address' on order to receive data.
I would like to power these light panels via POE. I may have to concider RF modules if I cant get the ethernet to work and go with a seperate powersupply.

I can't quite understand the SPI ethernet link. You can either have an SPI link, Ethernet link or SPI-controlled Ethernet module.
SPI-controlled Ethernet module :)

Of course there are other alternatives to the SimpleLan, such as Xport and Wiznet.
I looked up the Wiznet and these took my intrest
http://www.ewiznet.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=114 (SPI connection)(I guess this is what I was looking for initially)
http://www.ewiznet.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=115 (serial connection)

Would either of these units be suitable?

Lt_Sniper

I have been looking at the following:

Sena NEMO10 (RFModules Australian distributor has module for $waiting for quote)
Sena LS100B (TechENG Australian distributor has module for $111AU ext GST)
MOXA NE-4000T (Australian distributor has module for $69AU and starter kit for $143AU)

Is this a telnet unit? It has a proper RS232 port on the back
WIZnet WIZ110SR (Australian distributor has module for $59AU inc P&H)

Last edited: