Interfacing pic18x with elm 327

madspof

Hey

I have decided i want to make a some kind of board that will interface to a elm327 chip which is used for car diagnostics, the plan is too pull some data from the car and display it on a screen of some sort.
I think the setup will be some thing like LCD <- PIC18X <-> ELM 327 <-> CAR
The ELM 327 chip outputs at a buad rate of 9600 although i know this is theorticly possible with a pixaxe 18x in practice could the pic handle receiving the data, changing it a little (maybe by a multiplication produce the right sleep) and the output it to a serial screen?

thanks before hand madspof :)

madspof

Ive just realised ive put this in the wrong section :S sorry hope you can move it becuase i dont know how to

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
[ Moved to Active Forum ]

The issue would likely be what data the elm327 puts out and how easy it would be to get at the data you want within the data stream.

You may be better off using a PICAXE-X1 or X2 which has Hardware Serial support (HSERSETUP) and scratchpad for capturing and handling the received data.

I'm not familiar with the ELM 327 so cannot advise.

Last edited:

Dippy

Hey, OK, you may want to look at a bigger PICAXE.
Whilst the 18X may possibly be twiddled to do 9600 (I'll leave others to debate that as I don't know) you may consider using a bigger PICAXE.

I haven't got the time to wade through that Data Sheet but if you are 'pushing' a chip then if the data block is more than a few bytes soft-serials can mess up.
Maybe safer to go straight to an X2 and use hardware serial for reliability - and it'll run faster.
Sometimes, just playing is the only way to find out.

I have no experience of that chip and I have never seen it mentioned on the Forum so I doubt if anyone here has direct experience.

The display is up to you. Many options all over the place. Rev-Ed sell a GLCD firmware kit/chip.