I am searching for a picture of the AXE022 as modified by westaust55

rmeldo

westaust55,

I searched for the image of the AXE022 which you modified by adding connectors for wiring to other boards.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago , but tonight I cannot find it.

I found a theread where you descibe it and also a pdf of the schameatic you created.

Could you point me to the thread where you show the picture?

Thanks

Riccardo

westaust55

Are you thinking of the diagram I drew of the AXE022 showing the wiring from the 40 pin socket to the edge connectors, or schematic diagram or specifically 9as stated) a photo of the AXE022 showing the header connectors I soldered onto the AXE022 proto board?

If it is the wiring diagram the have a look at
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9025&highlight=AXE022*

There is also a DIPTRACE schematic diagram in a pdf file along with other drawings I have produced. The AXE022 schematic is the fist sheet in the first attachment to post 5 in this thread:.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10576

But if it is an actual photo you want, I did a quick scan through all of the atatchements I have on all my posts but cannot see one with AXE022 in the title. You could try a search on all posts that I have made. Too many for me to go through right now. Otherwise you may need to wait a while. I do not have copies of my photos with me and will not be home tonight. Can tentatively look for a photo on my PC on Saturday (Aust time). Please confirm it is a photo and not one of the able reference documents that you seek.

I have recollection that others such as Tarzan or BCJKiwi may have posted a photo showing thie AXE022 board with headers which maybe the same as I am using – maybe it is their photo you saw. An advanced search with “Header” as the topic and BCJKiwi or Tarzan as the author might find something.

Last edited:

westaust55

Thanks for that assistance Dan,

I thought it would be to do with headers if a photo but when I scanned through almost 200 attachments I did not spot one with AXE022 in the title. Must be the aging eyesight. :rolleyes:

rmeldo

westaust55,

I was looking for the photograph. I had searched the threads for a while but with no luck.

I would like to end up with the most versatile setup. I have spent the last two months setting things up to work on my project (control or an electric storage heater), but I keep running into obstacles: surface mounted chips, adaptor boards, difficulties to source small header pins, connections of AXE029 to breadboard a bit flaky (my soldering skills are derusting well though). This is called "learning the basics". Next on the agenda is setting the AXE022 up in the most versatile way. I will keep scanning past threads.

Thanks Tarzan for digging out the protograph. By the way, your way of doing it is interesting too. If I understand correctly you have connectors and rows of pin sockets for pulling the pins up or down with resistors.

I think it is very neat. I might use that.

Are any other ways to setup the axe022 for maximum versatility?

Riccardo

tarzan

If I understand correctly you have connectors and rows of pin sockets for pulling the pins up or down with resistors.
Yes that's how I do it.

I've given some thought to using 90 deg headers for a lower profile.
You could also add 90 deg headers to the underside of the boards I have, as there is another row of holes available to do so.

westaust55

To see what many others had done, including many experienced people, have a look at this thread as well.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9285

with respect to the type of headers and pins I have used, Jaycar have the pins in strips of 40 that you can span off at any length. Search your local Jaycar shop for Catalog No HM3212. Jaycar do not seem to stock the headers.

In the UK, Rev Eds on-line shop division Tech Supplies do. See:
http://194.201.138.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=3884&Page=2

rmeldo

The more I think about it he more I like Tarzan's solution. maybe with two rows connectord at the top, rather than single, to put to best use the spar row of holes.

Opinions?

Tarzan, if you don't mind do you still have a reference or link of some vendor of the connectors you are using? I need to see if they can be found in the UK (male and female). I guess I should choose something which can stand a large number of insertion/extraction cycles.

Riccardo

tarzan

Riccardo

You will not be able to fit two vertical headers of the type I’m using, not enough space.

You will also need a drill bit of the correct size to enlarge the holes.

I made my own cables by carefully crimping the end connections then soldering and finally adding some heat shrink. The soldering was necessary because I don’t have a really good crimping tool. I do recommend using heat shrink to give extra strength. The heat shrink is also a tight fit so make sure that it is thin walled.

I use these headers with breadboards as well. To accomplish this I insert 0.9mm round gold flashed pins into the breadboard and then push the header onto the pins. This makes a good stable connection.

Last edited:

westaust55

I had previously seen Tarzan's board in photos and was likewise interested in the idea of permanently having some resistors installed.

After some thought, I decided not to do that, (even on a second AXE022 board I have) as:
1. do you have then as pull don or pull up resistors.
2. Some devices such as LDR's and DS18B20 need selection of specific value for optimal/correct operation.

For the i2c resistos, I have those soldered across some header pins as well so that they can be removed or values changed if necessary. Some devices such as the AXE033 include pull up resistors but most do not. Faster i2c bus speeds recommend lower pull-up resistor values as well.

Not saying that having resistors is bad, but the topic does need some thought about the whys and wherefores.

My second AXE022 board only uses two row headers for two terminals per IO point rather than 3 and non for the NET port area so it looks a little less cluttered. Have a look at the attched photo of the bottom portion of the Experimenters box. This pic does not show all the wires as the top have is complete disconnected.

Attachments

Last edited:

tarzan

westaust55
My resistors are not permanently soldered to the board if that’s what you thought.
The machined IC single line socket strips allow for easy removal and replacement of the resistors.

rmeldo

Morning (evening for some)

I had understood that the resistors in Tarzan's protoboard were removable. that really is the clever part. I think that Tarzan and westaust55 have very similar concepts, just different connectors.

Last night I put together an order with rapid electronics (how expensive). the sockets look like the ones westaust55 is using and how suggested by Eclectic. not pressed the GO button yet.

My thought was that The machined IC single line socket strips which Tarzan is using might be less reliable than eclectic suggested. Or, to express it in a different way, because the sockets that westaust55 is using are sprung inside they insure a more reliable connection (I have one of those, bought from Rev-ed and they seem like they would last a long time)

Any comments?

Riccardo

westaust55

My understanding is that the machined IC sockets are more robust.
They have a firmer grip on the IC legs but that can make them harder to remove from the socket - recall reading here of another member having such problems.

Most resistor leads (well at least those 0.25W types I use) have slightly smaller diameter than the width of an IC leg, but contact must still be good as Tarzan has not reported problems.

The plugs and sockets that Tarzan are more robust then the headers I use in that it would take a little more force to part the halves. However I have had no problems with multiple insertions and removals of the headers and pins I use.

At the end of the day there is a bit of personal choice involved.

rmeldo

I realize I might be splitting hair here. Better on question more than a mistake though.

Thanks to everyone.

Riccardo

westaust55

One last thought . . .

Put the header sockets on the AXE022 board as I have
That way there are no bare pins, at unused IO, which could easily be shorted if there is a slip.

Again my personal preference.

rmeldo

westaust55,

do you mean place the double row connector on the three holes strip close to the + and - buses, leaving a row of holes incovered on the Picaxe side?

westaust55

If you are referring to post 12, then yes that is what I did but no real advantage whether the inner or outer pins.

On the first AXE022, I cut up double row header sockets into 3 segment lengths but found I do not need that many.

For my second AXE022 (as per the pic) I cut 2 row header sockets into 8 pin lengths and soldered that onto the AXE022.
At the Outputs I also put a 2 row header in for the +5V and 0V.

In that way I can use a section of header pins that picks up an output pin and either +5V (eg for an LED) or 0V (eg for a LED or Speaker). You can remove the unwanted pin(s) so no short/fault problems if the header pins are reversed. You can see that for Output 0 used for SOUND and TUNE commands in the photo I attached.