hsersetup and pwmout

Cunci

I have a problem with a 28X1. Everytime that some characters are received in automatic background mode my PWM stops or changes frequency.

pwmout 1, 199, 100 'initialize PWM
hsersetup B19200_16, %01 'true serial output, automatic background receive

Any ideas?

womai

I have seen the same recently when I tried to convert my Picaxe scope design to use background hserin (which would make some of my program much more elegant). Keeps messing up my PWM output which drives the sample logic. At least in my case the change seems to be a lowering of the PWM frequency by a factor of 4 when hserin receives a byte. It really seems related to hserin, because when I go back to serrxd for receive instead (while still using hserout for output) the scope works perfectly fine. I tried to fix this behavior but after several days of trying have given up for the moment. It probably would be a good idea to strip down the program to a bare minimum which shows the effect.

Some details: Picaxe 28X1, ran it at clock frequencues of 20 MHz and 16 MHz (external resonator) as well as 8, 4, 2, and 1 MHz internal oscillator. Tried it with several hserial data rates between 9600 baud and 112kbaud; PWM is running at 1 MHz and lower. The problem was there in all cases.

Wolfgang

Last edited:

Cunci

I think what fixed your problem was not using background recieve mode in hsersetup. I don't even use hserin in my application. All I have to do is receive some characters on the hardware serial port and the PWM get messed up. I wish I knew what was going on so that we can work around it. I have searched all the manuals for limitations on these commands and can't see where they might be conflicting.

retepsnikrep

I had a similiar problem with hpwm and the timer routine on a 28x1 using firmware A3. Firmware A4 and above corrected that issue it may be the same with this problem which sounds related.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10872&highlight=hpwm+timer+28x1

And from another thread with 28x1 I2c and pwm conflict

Not yet tested, but it is quite possible that this is the same issue that caused the known issue between timer/pwmout (fixed in A.4). Basically the pwm operation in the PIC chip sets an interrupt flag unexpectedly (and in our opinion, wrongly!), which can then affect the operation of the other expected interrupts (such as timer or i2c receive).
If so firmware A.4 onwards may well resolve the issue, as the incorrect flag issue has been worked around.

We'll try and do some testing for you.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The hardware pwm module inside the PIC chip used for the 28X1/40X1 creates a 'timer 2' interrupt by setting the timer 2 interrupt flag when the PWM module is active. This is unusual behaviour because, although timer 2 is used by pwm, it is not used in interrupt mode, hence the interrupt flag should not be generated. This also doesn't occur in other PICs we have used in the past.

Unfortunately this silicon issue can effect other commands that legitimately use interrupts - namely servo, timer, hardware i2c (slave mode) and hardware serial.

When we became aware of this limitation of the internal PICs hardware we changed the PICAXE bootstrap to 'workaround' this issue (A.4 onwards). So A.4 onwards chips should work for you.

I had problems at the weekend with hserin in background mode causing a PICAXE 28X1 to reset every few seconds. I wasn't using the PWM function.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I had problems at the weekend with hserin in background mode causing a PICAXE 28X1 to reset every few seconds. I wasn't using the PWM function.
This is a different situation. With background hserin and slave i2c receipt the chip will reset after 2.1 seconds if the background receipt of a data byte into the PICS hardware module does not fully complete for some reason - for instance a byte starting but then not receiving a valid 'stop' bit within the timeout period. Therefore this implies a fault within the system setup/communications.

Cunci

I just pruchased 3 smt 28X1 V3 from Europe. Is there anyone in the US who sells the 28x1 smt V5? I hate to spend postage on returning the bad parts if I could just buy them in the US. Thank you technical support for all hard work.

Cunci

Still having problems. I am using a 28x1 v A.5.

hsersetup B19200_16, %01 'true serial output, automatic background receive
pwmout 1, 199, 100

The pwm runs fine until a character is background recieved then it stops.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.