How to send data to a display at 9600 baud

I have a matrix orbital serial display that only works at 9600 or 19,200 baud, I was hoping to drive it with a 28x1 on a standard project board for it, how can I do this if the oscilator is fixed at 4Mhz?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Cowan

You can either use the hardware serial out pin (look at the hserout command), or you can overclock the PICAXE (look at the setfreq command).

A

ok does the setfreq command work a fixed osscilator?

It says in the instructions for setfreq "devices with fixed external resonators this command cannot be used"

The other suggestion, using the other output, don't I need that to program the chip also this ison a project board so I don't know how to access that pin.

Andrew Cowan

The 28X1 can use internal resonators (either 4MHz (Setfreq m4) or 8MHz (Setfreqm8), or it can use external resonators (eg setfreq em16).

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You can also use HSERSETUP / HSEROUT to generate almost any baud rate including 9600 and 19200.

eclectic

Three parts to a possible answer.

1. For a 28X1, use the line
Setfreq M8

See Manual 2, page 183.

2. Then as an example, I'm using output pin 7

serout 7, T9600_8, (“My text”)
OR
serout 7, N9600_8, (“My text”)

See manual 2, page 172

3.If you are using the AXE020, then make sure that the serout lead
is connected to one of the solder pads between
the 28X1 and the ULN2803.

e

Attachments

1) What pin is this, is it the serout pin used to program the chip? How do I access it and program the chip as well?

2) what is the format of the command to use is it
hsersetup B9600_4,%10
hserout 0, "hello"

Will this work?

eclectic

1) What pin is this, is it the serout pin used to program the chip? How do I access it and program the chip as well?

2) what is the format of the command to use is it
hsersetup B9600_4,%10
hserout 0, "hello"

Will this work?
Sorry, but I'm a little confused.

Are your questions in response to post#5 or post#6?

e

they were in responce to Q5 about the hserout command. I just tried the setfreq m8 and then using the serout 0,T9600_8,("Data") but it does not work. The display remains with the start up screen no change. So I would like to use the hserout but I don't know which pin on the picaxe project board to connect to.

Thanks

Sorry, but I'm a little confused.

Are your questions in response to post#5 or post#6?

e

eclectic

they were in responce to Q5 about the hserout command. I just tried the setfreq m8 and then using the serout 0,T9600_8,("Data") but it does not work. The display remains with the start up screen no change. So I would like to use the hserout but I don't know which pin on the picaxe project board to connect to.

Thanks
Just a check.

Which connection, to which output pin?

The R/H output connectors
to the right of the ULN2803,
cannot be used for LCD.

e

Just a check.

Which connection, to which output pin?

The R/H output connectors
to the right of the ULN2803,
cannot be used for LCD.

e
Just to recap, I have a Matrix Orbital serial lcd display and a 28x1 chip on a project board. A poster suggested I use the hserout command, so I am asking to which pin on the project board do I connect the serial in data pin to on the LCD when using this command?

eclectic

@francis.

I can see some possible confusions here.

Can you please confirm:

1. That you have the AXE020 board. (photo post #6)

2. That you have the AXE28X1 chip? (post #1)

Or, do you own the 28X?

e

Ok thanks for your help, I do have a 28X1 chip on a Picaxe project
board.

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=495

I have wired the output 0, which is a connected to the hole between the 28X1 and the Darlington and retested it and I found that if I repeat the some of the commands it works

setfreq m8
pause 2000
serout 0,T9600_8,("This is a test")
serout 0,T9600_8,("This ia a test")

this works, so I just have to keep testing it to see what works and what doesn't, at least I have something to go on now

Thanks for your help, I may have other questions as it is a bit of trial and error here.

@francis.

I can see some possible confusions here.

Can you please confirm:

1. That you have the AXE020 board. (photo post #6)

2. That you have the AXE28X1 chip? (post #1)

Or, do you own the 28X?

e

inglewoodpete

Andrew wrote:
Port C pin 6 (physical pin 17).

Make sure you connect it to the hole between the 28X1 and the ULN2803.
On the AXE020 (28 Pin PICAXE board), Port C (the inputs) are connected via the opposite side of the board to the outputs and ULN2083A. There is a pain-in-the-butt 10k resistor pack pulling down all Port C pins. Probably not a problem in this case if Francis should only want to use hserout. Have a look at the AXE020 data sheet: all is explained there.