How long has Picaxe been around ?

donrecardo

Hi
I was just reading through some of the posts and noticed for the first time that it shows a lot of the senior members appear to have a joining date of Jan 1970 .

Surely the Picaxe forum can't have been around that long ? or has something screwed up with the forums records of joining dates ?
It just seems strange that so many people appear to have joined in Jan 1970 and I cant remember ANY Integrated Circuits being around in those days let alone Picaxes ?
If I remember correctly , then back in those days I think I was rubbing the black paint off OC71 transistors to make them into photo transistors. Happy days :rolleyes:

westaust55

The 1970 date eminates from the fact that just over a year ago Rev Ed changed to the Vbulletin based forum and all older memberships defaulted to the 1970 date.

There is a thread on the forum (in the past 11 months) detailing a bit of the history about the development and release date for the various PICAXE chips if you wish to search for it. (Sorry in a hurry out the door right now so you will have to search for yourself)

Marcwolf

Just be thanksful they DON'T print our ages.
Some of us remember such things a pre WWW, pre PC, and pre Microprocessors

MORA99

1/1 1970 is 0seconds from unix epoch, a common way to store time in a single int.
(although its "about"(2038) to overflow 32bit variables, so move to 64bit or the new seconds from 2000 is needed)

donrecardo

Now that about epoch time rings a bell :)

It was only a few days ago I came across a message
to go see the epoch timer on a web site somewhere .
At 23.30.31 on that evening the epoch time was 1234567890

Don

papaof2

feeling old

I remember all of those , and the minitron incandesant 7 seg display,
and before that Nixies :eek:

I suddenly feel old :(

Don
I built relay logic for the telephone office where I once worked and later replaced it with new TTL chips. I had a Bell Labs guy tell me that the TTL logic board (which had been running without a problem for months) could not work in that electrically noisy environment. With proper grounding and bypassing, TTL worked fine talking to a world of 48 volt relays. I later worked at Bell Labs for a couple of years - but never saw that guy again...

I had mobile radio gear powered by dynamotors and vibrator power supplies (depending on the current draw) - then the vibrators were replaced by solid state versions (a couple of power transistors in a vibrator can) ;-)>>>> (long gray beard)

I refuse to feel old, but my body doesn't always agree...

John