high portc 3 conflict?

Taniwha

I am working on a small robot project and have fun into what looks like a conflict issue. The finished vehicle will be controlled by a 14M and because of the number of outputs I want, I thought I would try the "portc" route. So I wrote some code and hit simulate to test it (the 'bot isn't ready yet). However if I have an instruction setting output 3 high AND an instruction setting Portc 3 high the output 3 pulses?
Code:
do

let pins = %00001010
	high portc  3
	loop
this is the basic code with everything else removed, am I missing something, is there an issue with the simulator? or have I got the wrong idea about using portc?
I am using Progamming editor version 5.22

Thanks
Stewart

eclectic

@Stewart.

I've just simulated your program, on an "old" computer
with PE 5.2.0

Out3 does indeed flash
(But the prog runs correctly on a real 14M)

I then tried on my current computer, with
up to date PE 5.2.6

Simulates and runs correctly.

Time to download the modern PE?

e

editadd: Cross post. :)

Taniwha

So I am guessing here, I should down load the latest version then? :)
The only frustration is a just recently bought my first picaxe module (18X) which came with the cable and "latest" version software, ah well que sera sera, thanks guys for the help.

Stewart

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
When products are packaged up for the warehouse any software included will be the latest available at that time. When the product is sold to the customer some time later it may not be the latest version due to additions, improvements and any fixes added which have happened in the intervening time.

This is common with almost all software sold and products which are software or firmware based and, unless deliberately choosing not to release improvements and bug fixes, will likely always be the case.

The latest released Rev-Ed software is available for downloading from the Rev-Ed web site.

BeanieBots

Which brings on to the subject of knowing when new versions are available.
Maybe it's time the PE had a "check for updates" option?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It does ( Help -> Updates ) but there seems to be an issue there which we will investigate.

BeanieBots

I was thinking of something with a little more automation rather than just opening a browser to software webpage.

eg Compare current version to latest version then give option to download and install. Maybe even scheduled checks like many other packages do these days.

tiscando

Why are there so often "Full" installes with upgrading, and not just a single patch?

even when the version numbers step up by 0.0.1 to 5.2.6 which is the latest now.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It depends on scale of things affected by a change. If a small change affects a large number of components it's easier to just make a new full release than include a patch which is only slightly smaller.