Help! TRying to set up Pic programmer system in school!

Clarendon

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newcomer to all this business. Sorry for my ignorance.

I've had our IT technicians install pic programmer and editor onto our system, we're using the 'cyberpet' project with an 8 pin chip (08 chip, not 08M).

I have litterally just soldered the prefab board with components (Checked they're all in the correct place etc) copied the program example from the PDA then clicked run once everything is connected. I then get Error message cannot connect to com 1.

We have gone though the basic checks in the options menu for the com1 connection (With three different pcbs) the voltage doesn't change when I illuminate the green LED.

The technician has done what he can to check com ports etc and installed the updates but nothing we try seems to work.

I'm sure i've not done something wrong set up wise but have no clue what or where, can anyone help?

manuka

Welcome- & you're are lucky to have technicians, as numerous enthusiastic teachers have had to nut out such problems themselves! Where are you?

PICAXE micros. rate highly on the "they just work" stakes,so no doubt some simple blunder is at work. Hence - how are you powering the setup? What PC & OS? USB serial adapter or direct D9? 08 correctly inserted? DMM finds supply voltage across 08 pins? Tried another PC - even an "oldie but goodie" W98 style standalone laptop etc?

Can you maybe upload a digital pix - use the "Go Advanced" posting option. Stan in NZ

EXTRA: I'm sure you haven't made this mistake, but some have! Many schools PICAXE circuits are supplied with a traditional 9V battery snap,but PICAXEs only need 3-5V (best supplied for trials by 3 x AA) & should NEVER be supplied directly from 9V! I've run across this supply confusion before, & IMHO it remains an educational design oversight. For something like 50 years 9V circuitry has almost uniquely used this "snap" connector,& of course they hence just scream at most folks to "ATTACH 9V BATTERY HERE"

Attachments

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Start the programming editor.
Select view->options then click on the "serial port" tab.
Then click the "refresh" button.

Ports not available will be greyed out.
If you are not sure which port your hardware is on, try each of the available ones.

westaust55

Start the programming editor.
Select view->options then click on the "serial port" tab.
Then click the "refresh" button.

Ports not available will be greyed out.
If you are not sure which port your hardware is on, try each of the available ones.
If you are using an AXE027 cable then when in the Programming Editor and looking at the options/serial tab as mentioned by Beaniebots then click the SETUP tab. That will take you directly to the MS Windows Device Manager.

Click on the Ports (COM & LPT) and that will show you the COMM number used for the AXE027 cable.

Again, if it is the AXE027 USB cable, have you installed the USB drivers?

Tricky Dicky

When installing the AXE027 download lead drivers you need to have the lead plugged in a USB port. Once installed the drivers will only recognise that particular port which means you have to use the same port each time.

Richard

Clarendon

Hi,
Thanks very much for all the replys.

We've ordered some usb download cable and reinstalled the program. My ict technician has then taken charge and installed the correct drivers.

We are using 3 x AA batteries and not 9V pp3.

We have also run a setup for the com port and usb so the program know which is selected. We've tried both serial cable and usb on separate computers with all variations of uninstalling reinstalling, old and new pc etc.

Unfortunatey though the setup still isn't working. Feeling quite stupid really, not sure what to try next.

I've ran this project in one other school and everything worked first time of trying so i've never encountered this amount of hassle.

Any advice would be greatly recieved!!

Thanks again

Dan