Help for a newbie: GPS - Picaxe - Device

yassassin

Hello,
I would like to retrieve coordinates from a GPS and to send this Output to another external device, like a video or audio player.
The problem is that I'm a newbie and I don't know where to start. :confused:

So please:
- can you suggest me a GPS that is able to send outputs to a Picaxe Chip?
- can you suggest me the right Picaxe Chip that is able to elaborate GPS outputs and send them to another device?
- later on, can you suggest me the specification for the final device (audio or video)? Which kind of Inputs and in which format I will be able to send to this device?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Andrew Cowan

- can you suggest me a GPS that is able to send outputs to a Picaxe Chip?

Have a look at what Sparkfun offer - all of those will interface to a PICAXE via serial.

- can you suggest me the right Picaxe Chip that is able to elaborate GPS outputs and send them to another device?

Most will - I'd recommend a 20X2 for speed, ease of use, cost, size and program space.

- later on, can you suggest me the specification for the final device (audio or video)? Which kind of Inputs and in which format I will be able to send to this device?

Is it OK to output it to an LCD display? If so, have a look at the axe033 that Rev-Ed sell.

A

yassassin

Hi, thanks a lot for your help guys!!!
I need some other clarifications, so thanks in advance for your patience! :eek:

I think I'll need the following items:
- picaxe chip (link)
- programming software
- serial cable
- electronic board
- gps receiver (link)

Ok for the chip, but what about the other items? Which board? Which cable? Which software? And which gps??

Thank you very much... I do really appreciate your kindness!!! ;)

MPep

Programming Software and Serial Cable you should have.
If not, download Software and importantly also the manuals..
Serial cable - depends if your computer has serial ports or USB only. Refer to the manuals.

GPS - almost any will do, as long as it outputs NMEA data. This is easily readable using SERIN, or equivalent options dependent on the PICAXE variant you use.

Good luck. Keep asking question as we are here to help.

yassassin

So I've found this, tell me what do you think:

PICAXE Development Kit (USB) link
PICAXE USB Download Cable link
The free ‘Programming Editor’ software or ‘AXEpad’ software link
PICAXE-20X2 Microcontroller link

For now two more open points:
- I'll need an electronic board... wich one? Where can I find it?
- GPS, there are too many models, I cannot decide. I've noted that SparkFun has a lot of models link, but I saw that also Picaxe has its own link

I would like to buy a working configuration... as usual, your help will be really appreciated! :)