Graphic LCD Display help

Andrew Cowan

Hi all.

I have got a Powertip PG-12864F graphic LCD display (second hand), and I am wondering if I can use it with a PICAXE.

Datasheets: http://documents.rs-components.com/techlib://itc_doclist_GB.htm?stockno=3290329

It has a T6936 driver chip in it.

I have not used a graphic LCD (or a parellel LCD) before, so I would appriciate any help (or links) anone can offer.

What is the first step in linking this to a PICAXE?

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

Andrew Cowan

I have figured it is a normal parallel GLCD - I just need some help driving it. Do they make parallel to serial convertors?

Andrew

Last edited:

Dippy

"I have figured it is a normal paralled GLCD"
- excellent. Those Data Sheets are very handy.
There was a version of GLIC chip which could do Tosh T69xx GLCDs but it may not be available now.
Driving it directly would be a major task. You probably wouldn't be able to use a half of its capabilities and probably 10x slower than using a GLIC style driver.

But good luck nonetheless.

westaust55

Hi all.

What is the first step in linking this to a PICAXE?
What "size" PICAXE are you going to connect it to?

you need 8 bits for data (note the data bus is bi-directional).
Write, Chip Enable, Reset, Command/Data as a minimum

and if you want to read data back for better graphics to draw lines etc with formula as opposed to just display pictures, then the Read command signal and ability to read 8 bits of data..

So in total 12 or 13 signals needed.

One option is to use an i2c IO expander chip for the data bus and another for the signal lines.

Andrew Cowan

If I did use it, I would connect it to a 40X1.

In its current state, it is connected to a 40 pin PIC, in a working circuit. Sadly I don't have access to the code. Just wondering how easy it would be to 'PICAXE' it - from what you have said, it sounds hard, but possible.

Andrew

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
In its current state, it is connected to a 40 pin PIC, in a working circuit ... Just wondering how easy it would be to 'PICAXE' it - from what you have said, it sounds hard, but possible.
That looks encouraging. As long as there aren't any timing requirements the PICAXE cannot meet it should cope. The first step I would suggest is in tracking the control lines, seeing where they go to the PICmicro, determining which are input, which are output.

If you are lucky it may make the PICAXE near drop-in-replacement. Even if not it should be possible to remap as required.

Andrew Cowan

The PCB has all the pins labled. Left column = name on lcd, right column = name on PIC pin. However, I am looking for a serial LCD, as they look so simple. The PIC is running at 4MHz.

FG n/c
GND 0v
5V 5v
CX -5V via pot
WR RB3
RD RB2
CE RB1
CD RB0
RST 5V
D0 RD0
D1 RD1
D2 RD2
D3 RD3
D4 RD4
D5 RD5
D6 RD6
D7 RD7
F5 0v

Andrew

Last edited:

westaust55

You will need to study up the Toshiba LCD driver chip datasheet available from the website for which you gave a link you gave in your first post in this thread.

Keep in mind that to use the gLCD,
Firstly must pull the RST line low briefly first (PAUSE 10 for the delay)
The CE pin must be low to do anything.
To write to the gLCD memory the WR pin must be low
To read from the gLCD memory the RD pin must be low
To send a command to the gLCD the CD pin must be high
To send data to the gLCD the CD pin must be low.

Recall reading about a project using this Powertip gLCD module locally here in Perth, WA. Will try to track it down again and send you details.

In some ways it seems similar to projects already done by eclectic with a Nokia 3310 84x48 display and myself with the A55 101x64 display

westaust55

PICAXE 40X to PG12864-F code

The tutorial portion with the PICAXE 40X program code to drive Powertip PG12864-F gLCD display

This info all comes from a project done at the University of Western Australia Robotics Dept

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Everyday Practical Electronics had a 17 page supplement to their February 2001 edition about conencting the same gLCD to a PIC.
plent of useful information in that if you need it.

westaust55

Hi Andrew,

Any feedback yet on how useful this information was? :confused:

Interested for future reference and help to others . . . .

Andrew Cowan

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I havent tried it yet.

I don't want to use this display for any specific project - I was just wondering how complex it would be tro drive. When I place my next techsupplies/rapid/picaxe order, I will get a 40X1 so I can have a go with this display. Until then, it will sit on my shelf.

I'm also in the process of trying to source one of the GLIC graphics chips - I will also post here if I manage to buy one of them.

I'll let you know how it goes when I test it.

Andrew