Forum is getting worse

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
My problems with the forum are getting worse.

Threads which I've responded to aren't even being shown ( but obviously were there when I posted and can be found with Search ), and the dates displayed by the server for when a thread was last updated seems screwed; it looks like it's using US date format (MM/DD/YYYY) but treating them as UK date format (DD/MM/YYYY )to me, so posts are all out of order - 3rd of March is appearing as 2nd of February - and thus "last N days" is out of kilter.

I'm now seeing the same problems happening with Firefox and Opera as well as with MS OE.

I'll email technical.

Bloody-orc

plz also add to the email that he should make forum topic pages selectable from "outside" the topic itselt. so that i can press the last page from directly the "main page"
Thank you.

I also note that it has lots of problems identifying wich posts i have read and wich not. sometimes something i haven't read are displayed as read and the things i have read are displayed as NEW posts.
(and i have all cookies etc enabled and using firefox)

BeanieBots

I'm seeing similar.
Posts replied to are falling to the bottom of the list and many archived forums are now indicating unread posts which is not true.

A closer look suggests that it is sorting American format dates alphabetically.

Edited by - beaniebots on 3/2/2006 6:45:03 PM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I think the problem is a little more complex ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.happy.hippy/dump2.gif

With "last 365 days" shown in the Main Forum, BarryP's which I see as the last item is shown as "1/3/2006" ( last updated on 1st March ) and the one above shows "1/16/2006" ( last updated on 16th January ). That's a mix of DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY.

Is anyone else seeing the same ?

Technical have got back to me on the issue and are investigating further.

andrewpro

I havn't had the porblems you guys specify, but on occasion I do get everything "reset". All forums and all posts show as new, or soemthing the other way around, NOTHING shows as new, even though I've just posted myself.

I never bothere dto look at the details, as it's always fixed itself with one or two more visits, so I just chalk it up to "whatever". Could be related to the same thing you guys are experienceing, though, now that I see what youve gone through.

--Andy P

Dippy

I think its getting its date knickers in a twist.
I just found my thread of 2nd March listed as 3/2/2006 whereas someone who posted very close to mine is 2/3/2006.
(Or it might be the other way round). Anyway it seems to be getting muddled between UK and US date format.
Come to think of it I think someone else said that earlier. (just spotted Hippy's text).
Regardless, needs sorting. Not difficult eh?

Edited by - dippy on 3/2/2006 9:08:22 PM

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Sorry for the issues.

The date has absolutely nothing to do with the issue, its consistantly saved in databse and cookies. However we admit it was graphically displayed in different formats in different places. We've now set it to display UK format everywhere.

We think the issue is a memory buffer issue, the database is simply getting too big. For now we've doubled the buffer size to work around the issue but we'll trim out early posts into a separate archive database soon.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Spoke too soon, there's still a 'date problem' ...

When making a new post, in the main Forum the date is shown as DD/MM/YYYY, eg 05/03/2006 = 5th March.

When the post is replied to, that date changes to MM/DD/YYYY, ie it becomes 03/05/2006 = 3rd May.

This is keeping new posts pushed down the list. Also the folders aren't purple indicating they are a new post.