flowhart help

Taniwha

I would like to let my daughter try her hand at flowcharting a program (BASIC is a little hard for her at the moment), I have the standard PE which has a flowchart option. My question is, where can i find a manual? i need to be able to change addresses in the objects (pin1,pin2 etc). if i try clicking or double clicking I just get "handles" on the object?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

westaust55

Flowcharting

I believe there is no separate flowcharting manual.

as the manuals say:
When using the flowchart method of programming, only a small subset of the available
commands are supported by the on-screen simulation. These commands are indicated by the corresponding flowchart icon by the description.
Some words are provided in Manual 1 page 53 . . .

In manual 2, for commands which can be used in flowcharting, there is a flowchart symbol in the top right corner of the command details page. For example see page 42, 55, 56, 66, . . . etc

Depending upon how keen you are to get your child into flowcharting,
Rev Ed also have as shareware:
Logicator for PIC® and PICAXE® micros (version 3)

goto http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/ and click in the software tab.
and look at http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/cat_07.pdf

Be warned that most here program in BASIC and help for flowcharting questions may be therefore limited.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
(pin1,pin2 etc). if i try clicking or double clicking I just get "handles" on the object?
The edit bar is at the bottom of the screen - click on a cell and then use the edit bar to change the values.

Flowchart instructions are an appendix in part 1 of the manual (open via the Help menu).

Also have a look at the Logicator software - shareware (free to try) download from the software pages.

Rickharris

I would like to let my daughter try her hand at flowcharting a program (BASIC is a little hard for her at the moment), I have the standard PE which has a flowchart option. My question is, where can i find a manual? i need to be able to change addresses in the objects (pin1,pin2 etc). if i try clicking or double clicking I just get "handles" on the object?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart
Oh she isn't too young to learn basic:

You only need to focus on 6 commands.

High
Low

Wait

If - then

goto

For - next

This is enough to do many things to start with - LEDs easy - Robots also possible.

Code:
'to control a robot

start:
high 4  ' left forward
high 0  ' right forward

if pin3=1 then turn

goto start

turn:

low 0
low 4  ' stop

high 1 ' turn
wait 2  ' how far to turn

low 1  ' stop turning

goto start
See, easy, even young children pisk it up very quickly.

Taniwha

See wrote her first flowchart program today, (we used Yenka then exported it to basic) the excitement level was great to watch. The next step is to get our little robot running better then she can really have fun.
Thanks for your suggestions, I will get her started with the simulator next i think.

Cheers
Stewart