ELEKTOR - PICAXE at last!

manuka

The July-Aug summer 2008 "Elektor" electronics monthly seems to have finally recognized PICAXE potential! Check the nifty 555/Op-Amp/08M hot wire non inflammable gas flow circuit on P.30 ( teaser below).

THOUGHT: How about you EU readers consider shooting in more bright ideas to such popular publications? "Silicon Chip" (~the down under equivalent), & even the US "Nuts & Volts" are increasingly festooned with PICAXE ideas, which rather contrasts with UK/EU monthlies that tend to dwell on the likes of the XXXX & YYYYYY or even ZZZZZ. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

EPE has been running a series of articiles on the PIC microcontroller and their features over the last 9 editions (hmm I did miss a couple as they started in 2007 before I started to delve into the PICAXE myself).

This month (July 2008) EPE have an article on interfacing or expanding IO with the MCP23017 and MCP23S17 16-bit IO expanders which is equally of interest to PICAXE users.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
EPE seems to have started running articles from Silicon Chip. My rough guesstimate is that near 75% of projects have been from Silicon Chip lately so I am expecting PICAXE to get better coverage here shortly.

It's very annoying that EPE don't bother to change Down Under conventions of 4.7K and 0.1uF to European conventions of 4K7 and 100nF and the like, which reminds me I was meant to send my Mr Angry email to them :)

One of the problems of contributing to any magazine is that they have in the past made it so hard to do that, often not giving any indication of the process, what's required, what payment there may be or even who to contact.

What's required is often far more effort than the reward, and, while it's nice to appear in print, it's a lot less pain to publish in the Forum, on one's own web site or on Instructables and the like. There's a much lower standard required for self publishing and while the product may not be complete, leave a lot to be desired, it's at least out there for the whole world to see and be inspired by.

That's one thing to bear in mind; what rights are being sacrificed. Most do not like published articles also self-published on the web or elsewhere, and doing that may affect a future relationship with a publisher. Authors have to decide if they want to restrict the availability of their work in return for some pittance or forego publication to get a wider potential audience, critical acclaim and die in poverty :)

Author guidelines for Elektor who these days clearly lay out the deal and have 'bucked their ideas up' in the face of competition ...

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/service/author-guidelines.78387.lynkx

For EPE; who knows. Good luck finding anything other than a contact address or phone number. Let us know if you do ...

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk

Guidelines for Silicon Chip are here, but no details of renumeration ...

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/writingforus.html

Guidelines for Nuts & Volts are here, pay around half what Elektor do with a very low cap as well, and they won't redraw circuits or artwork requiring extra author effort ...

http://www.nutsvolts.com/writers_guidelines.php

Make Magazine is very much more informal and will likely appeal to those who haven't already become established publishers, although they aren't specifically an electronics magazine, but how many projects are 'just electronics' ...

http://makezine.com/submissions.csp

Last edited:

Dippy

Blimey hippy, you've gone very serious....

If you want to publish on the Web then so be it. Your pride is your payment. And as it doesn't get checked (as you said hippy) then some real gaffs get through. And a lot of web stuff I've seen is cringingly naive and rough and ready. (A lot is really good I should add.)

In science/technology there are many things published after a peer review. The final publication is therefore more accurate and usually far more slickly presented. The money aspect at the time can be trivial/zilch but it gets your name in lights and may have financial / ego benefits down the line. The world renowned 'Hippy Beer Brewing' system is legendary.

And I would have thought that an article in those magazines would have a far bigger reach than here on this Forum. Especially when looking back into history using a properly indexed back-issue system versus a 'search' and God help us with a Google search.
If someone can't spell then you can be searching for ages (a good reason for literacy if ever huh?). Thanx.

Payments, what, how, and sometimes why?

From your links the deal with Elektor are quite clear, but not specific.

Can't find details for the others....?
Mmmm...I would have thought that one solution would be to CONTACT them?
If you don't ask you don't get.
Is it really that difficult?
I know some people are scared to email and some people shudder at using that old thing called a phone. Especially if you sound like Mickey from Doctor Who.
But, strangely enough, it can get results.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I did seriously consider contributing but decided it wasn't me but I'd never tell anyone not to. There's certainly prestige and fame to be had which is beneficial all round - who'd have thought a Kiwi with a Wok and Wi-Fi would be so well known around the world and be so influential.

I got my (co-)author credits with Wiley but I'm not saying which tome because that would be like an open invite for tea and I'm out of choccy bickies :)

I agree it's not that hard to ask, but that assumes someone wants to anyway. I hate shops which don't price things up, I just go where they do. It's an early indicator of their attitude. I think anyone who wants to publish will, if the publishers want fresh blood it's up to them to encourage people.

Dippy

True.

Maybe it's a filter?
Maybe it dicourages the hundreds of people who may send in their "How I got my PICAXE to flash an LED" articles? So, only the keener author might enquire to ask "How much dosh will you give me for my PICAXE controlled Prompt Gamma Analyser project?"

If I was the Editor and someone asked "How Much?" for their "really cool/hot/awesome project" I could then say 50p.

I wonder how much I'd get for my "Helicopter based Startrek Sensor beam mine detector" or my "Portable Resonant Microwave Neurone Overloader to replace Taser"?
Probably 50p if that :)

Ralpht

Hippy - "EPE seems to have started running articles from Silicon Chip. My rough guesstimate is that near 75% of projects have been from Silicon Chip lately so I am expecting PICAXE to get better coverage here shortly.

It's very annoying that EPE don't bother to change Down Under conventions of 4.7K and 0.1uF to European conventions of 4K7 and 100nF and the like, which reminds me I was meant to send my Mr Angry email to them :)

One of the problems of contributing to any magazine is that they have in the past made it so hard to do that, often not giving any indication of the process, what's required, what payment there may be or even who to contact. "

I believe that a few years ago, Silicon Chip bought EPE, or at least bought lots of shares in them so Silicon Chip probably has some say in the content of EPE. Since Silicon Chip probably have controlling interest, no wonder the conventions have not changed.

I just looked at the March 2006 edition and in the Circuit notebook section, they print the payment amount to each author. Considering that these are reader submitted, very short articles (usually 1/4 page or less) and not verified by Silicon Chip staff, they still pay reasonable amounts. The average is around $40 AUD, so that is a fair bit more than 50p, even taking into consideration the exchange rates.

I can bet that a full blown multi page article will pay quite a few hundred bucks. Since Manuka has done many articles on the Picaxe in Silicon Chip, maybe he can give us ball park figures as to what one can expect as payment for an article to be. Obviously each article is paid according to its merits.

I've stopped getting EPE simply because many articles are Silicon Chip reprints, so I don't feel I'm getting value for money. I already have the original article so why pay again for the same thing a few months later. The few unique articles in EPE do not make the cost of the mag worth while - at least to me anyway.

westaust55

Cannot say I have ever had problems with whichever types designations (4.7k or 4k7) are used.
Then again having grown up with both imperial and metric systems I am just as likely to tell you that a piece of wood is 4 x 50 (as in 4 inches x 50mm = the good old Aussie 4 x 2 ).

Wrenow

I did seriously consider contributing but decided it wasn't me but I'd never tell anyone not to. There's certainly prestige and fame to be had which is beneficial all round - who'd have thought a Kiwi with a Wok and Wi-Fi would be so well known around the world and be so influential.

I got my (co-)author credits with Wiley but I'm not saying which tome because that would be like an open invite for tea and I'm out of choccy bickies :)

I agree it's not that hard to ask, but that assumes someone wants to anyway. I hate shops which don't price things up, I just go where they do. It's an early indicator of their attitude. I think anyone who wants to publish will, if the publishers want fresh blood it's up to them to encourage people.
Hippy,

Let me meke introduction to the fine folks at "Nuts and Volts" and and "Servo" magazines. Great folks, really good magazines (servo being geared more for robotics). They were kind enough to publish an article on R/C Model Warship Combat that I wrote, and invited our club to share a booth at Maker Faire in Austin last year. Huge success, by the way.

They are not only Picaxe friendly, but that is where I got interested in Picaxe in the first place. They do everything from beginner to advanced level stuff.

And, yes, they pay. The rates are on their submission FAQs, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

Wreno

manuka

Well I really got the brains trust going there, but what I'd been coercing was back of an envelope bright ideas rather than a full article. Some ideas seen on this forum would go down a treat! What about even a letter to the editor? The illustrious Ivor Catt conducted a mega series in past "Electronics & Wireless World" mags. this way => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt

I've been penning diverse papers & articles for decades, & cringe when recalling the bad old submission days before word processors,digital cameras, email attachments, graphics packages,preview .pdfs & of course the Internet itself as a resource. It's SO much easier now,& aside from mere techinicalities I'm often more concerned with considering remote time zones & readers sense of humour! I lived in Oz. for some time & hence usually find their funny bone OK, but my UK origins are 35 years past, & thus rather locked in another era- which explains why I'm reluctant to directly write for an EU audience.

SiChip payments are certainly worthwhile,& the "walk the talk" spin offs & goodwill PR even more so. Most established tech. writers receive near continual deliveries of "toys & goodies" for their consideration of course as well! It's akin to travel writers being whisked off for a week in the the likes of Beijing on the off chance that they'll say something persuasive.

Article resources/tweaks can readily be handled by an included URL of course. This allows fine tuning even after the periodical has been printed. I've had no trouble retaining IP for the original ideas.

Hope this motivates the reluctant amongst you. Stan

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Having recently submitted an article to Silicon Chip, I can say its not a simple process (end-to-end). So far, my dealings with Silicon Chip have been straightforward.

As Dippy hinted earlier, ego plays a part: I think my idea has some merit and it will be nice to have the item published. Silicon Chip have accepted the contribution for future publication in their Circuit Notebook section.

Ego has to play a part: I developed the idea back in April. Initially on a breadboard, then deployed it on stripboard as part of a working system. Umpteen sofware revisions later, I had a working system. Then I thought it could be of interest to others: publish on the web or in a magazine such as Silicon Chip? I'm old school: lets see it in print! So it took me a couple of weeks to draw the circuit and write the text to a standard that would be acceptable to the publishers of a technical magazine. Several drafts later, I sent off the article in June. My part: about 10 weeks of spare time, when family commitments allow. I hope I get a few dollars if the item is published but that all I expect. If I'm lucky, it might pay 50c or a dollar per hour. Even less if I declare it on my tax return;)

I was surprised at how much time it took for me to reach a stage where I ready to submit. My designs are usually just a pencil sketch and notes in my 'projects' folder, unless I do a PCB design in Eagle PCB.

sputz

There is a wealth of information in this forum and some very helpful and knowledgeable folks lurk here. Why not create a wiki or a community blog dedicated to the best darn microcontroller there is?

Even if I mine the information contained in this forum, even that'll be quite useful to Picaxe users.

manuka

Inglewoodpete: Great work & I look forward to the final version!. Don't sweat the small stuff too much however,as SiChip has human editing wizards who can turn even rough sketches into magnificent schematics. Their policy of emailing back the typeset pre publication .pdf for your tweaking is most productive, but sadly not one all publications follow I'm afraid....

Dippy

sputz, I've meaning moaning about , sorry, suggesting the need for a Wiki (hopefully with a different name as that word really gets up my nose).

It would be SO useful for a central depository, though if they persist in using the damned word Wiki I shall consider it merely a suppository.
Anyway, it would be a lot more useful than magazine articles, excellent though they are. For a start I wouldn't have to open my wallet or give out my credit card details any more than I have already.

All I would ask from contributors would be to make sure that:
1. Work isn't a copy.
2. Work is checked before publication and should be written clearly.
3. Circuit diagrams are good.
4. Code is commented.
5. And correct spelling is crucial if others want to do a 'search'.
6. Code pinchers should acknowledge the author.
7. Other things, but my kettle is boiling.

marcos.placona

I could contribute with a blog, my own domain (placona.co.uk) and the hosting I'm paying myself.

The URL could be something like picaxe.placona.co.uk or even placona.co.uk/picaxe (they're both the same anyway)

Of course you'd have to survive with my surname in the URL, but hey it's not so bad :D, and I can offer it to you for free.

What do you think?

Dippy

Kind offer marcos, but a proper Yukki would have a permanent link from to PICAXE Forum so that guests/newbies could find it easily. And a pukka Wiki is properly indexed etc too.
And, perish the thought, what would happen if your domain was ever curtailed? All that stuff gone into an e-hole.
I feel, as kind as the offer is, that anything along these lines would have to be Rev-Ed approved and initiated.

marcos.placona

Blogs or wikis are easy to be set up. That wouldn't be a problem.

If my website went busted for example, that wouldn't be a problem either, as I have backups being done everyday, so we'd lose some hours worth of content maybe.

Wait for rev-ed? Yeah yeah let's wait for rev-ed then ;)

marcos.placona

And if you were kidnapped by the Taliban or run over by a bus, what happens then?
Well then that'd be a problem :). Ok Dippy, I'll give you a user on the FTP and you can download the backup.

It becomes a problem again if when I get to Taliban's camp I see you as my cell mate :eek:

Shall we give this user and password to somebody else far away from Europe? :D

Dippy

Cheers, but no thanks. I've got enough to do. But you get my point huh? All eggs in one basket yeah?

Actually I was going to Kabul shortly but I was told I couldn't watch TV - because of the Taliban.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's not necessarily that a Wiki or other resource is independent from Rev-Ed which is a problem but the lack of relationship which gets people there. The Yahoo! PICAXE Group seems to survive but other user-started forums don't seem to have attracted much participation.

"Build it and they'll come", only works if there's a compelling reason for that, or it's part and parcel of the official channels. On another forum I frequent there is an independent Wiki and despite people being pointing to it regularly few posting to the forum seem to know of it, few contribute to it.

I wouldn't discourage anyone doing anything to boost the PICAXE but I think real success will come when it's done by, or with the support of, Rev-Ed.

For any Wiki, I believe there needs to be good and strong editorial control ( over format, layout and structure rather than content ) or it can soon become a mess and impenetrable. Even with the best will in the world commitment to something can fade away, and I speak with personal experience of my own web sites. Those who have a commercial investment in something are often much more likely to keep it running and working well than individual volunteers.

That doesn't stop you or anyone going right ahead and proving me wrong :)

Michael 2727

I had wondered abour EPE re-printing Silicon Chip articles also. Once upon a time no
magazine would touch anything previously published by someone else, even on the other
side of the planet. Even with © Copyright permissions approved etc.

Writing articles / projects is not an easy or quick task. From start to finish you could be
looking at anything from 2 weeks for a very small article to 3 months or so for complicated
project. I have had a couple of projects published, ETI, Silicon Chip, N&V and several
circuit notebook / design ideas.

The first and most important aspect from my point of view is the original design. there's
not much point using ( Dippy's favourite ) cheap obscure/obsolete crap from China or
E-bay parts amongst the component list. Off The Shelf components always.

Most magazines have a How To guide on the outline or format they prefer the content
to be written in. In some cases you can get away with hand drawn circuit diagrams as
long as they are neat and legible. PCB Layouts can be done with several CAD packages
so check which the publisher what format they can handle, most will take a PDF layout
if thats all you can supply. A prototype unit is prefered, for testing / evaluation, but
sometimes you can even get away with a good photo or two for publication.

You don't have to have a Degree in Electronics when writing the "how it works" part,
but a reasonable understanding of the circuits function operation is prefered.
Some experienced Editors can fix your sins, some don't have a clue and will publish
whatever you have written ( after Spellcheck ).

You may also find that your 4,000 to 6,000 word article gets edited/whittled down to
2,500 words. That will depend on publishing space available, (that month) sometimes
things may be slow and they will use everything. Remember Advertising pays their rent.

As far as labeling components e.g. 4K7 or 4.7K and 0.1µF or 100n I think it is a bit like
the NEG, 0V, Earth debate, that could go on forever.
It's nice to see what you are used to ( colour or color ) but if you can't work it out or
look it up and find out if you are unsure, then you probably shouldn't be playing with
those funny little thingies with the coloured stripy lines on them. Try Football, Wrestling etc.
The ones my Sister wanted to make cool Earings out of. ;)

So I would say if you have a good idea get it down on paper, take your time, ask for help
if you need it and give it a go.
Editors can do wonders, that's their job.

It has been said that up to 95% of all good ideas are lost when the owner dies with
them still in their head, never having writen anything down.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Writing articles / projects is not an easy or quick task. From start to finish you could be looking at anything from 2 weeks for a very small article to 3 months or so for complicated project

I think that's what puts most people off ( myself included ). It really has to be a labour of love and comitment for intangible rewards. Sometimes what's needed just falls out of the project or an experiment anyway in which case it's far easier, or at least takes one half way there.

Compare that to knocking up a web page, posting to the Finished Project section here, or on Instructables etc. There's still a fair bit of work needed to do something well but considerably less than for real publishing and a lower bar which needs to be reached before that effort sees the light of day.

I'm all for people publishing more, in print or on the web, and would encourage them to do so. It's hard enough to get them to do that when the bar is low, far harder when it's a lot higher. Most people don't try because they don't think they can reach either bar.

Most people desire or woud like celebrity, acclaim, praise, applause and reward ( in some mix or other ) so it's not so much that they cannot but they won't or it's made too difficult. The opportnities are there if they want it. The question really is, how do we motivate, encourage and reward people to take up their pens ?

Maybe we cannot, the whole discussion moot. Some people will, most people won't. That's the way it is ?

sputz

I'm not a big fan of wiki either. But hosting in this age is fairly easy. Even a blogspot account would be fine. You can easily add contributors to a single blogspot account.

However, not sure what rev-ed's policy is on linking to external sites. It would be ideal if rev-ed can provide this though.

But, having said that, the more sites we have for Picaxe, the merrier!:)

Dippy

"It's not necessarily that a Wiki or other resource is independent from Rev-Ed which is a problem but the lack of relationship which gets people there."
- I didn't really understand this sentence. Is it a long-winded way of saying "It would need a link from the PICAXE Forum"??

"For any Wiki, I believe there needs to be good and strong editorial control ( over format, layout and structure rather than content ) or it can soon become a mess and impenetrable. "
- a slightly longer way of saying what I said in post #13 no.2

I actually (believe it or not) contribute (sensibly) on another PIC related forum for serious amateur and professional coders. The Wiki works perfectly. The articles, albeit 99% code, are checked , tested and published. Indexed and help yourself.

If people want to have a go at getting published in a magazine, whether it be for a little cash or pure ego-inflation, then have a go. Don't be bashful, but don't expect your project to be accepted. It may if it's good/interesting/unique enough. All authors get rejections, so don't cry.

And based on reading these last few posts... remember to write your article clearly and concisely and cut the verbosity :)

Anyway, a Wiki is a lot of work so it won't happen. If you write to a magazine then I'll only read it on-line and if I don't have to pay a sub, just like 99% of people here.

Unless someone keeps an article list (or has a link from here), then when I, hippy, Stan and a few others get run over by a Taliban bus then none of the new PICAXE breed will know the article ever existed. However, with a Wiki......

Good luck to you authors and potential authors.

Last edited:

manuka

Phew- I wasn't suggesting penning the electronic equivalent of Shakespeare! Lengthy feature articles indeed may take for ever- I typically spend 20-40 hours on a SC offering- & it certainly can be a labour of love. However I've put in far more slog during my lengthy educational career on totally useless unpaid chores, & view enthusiastic article writing as much more satisfying.

Like the rest of you I'm of course an immense on line fan, but recognize that all manner of inspiring hints & tips only turn up in magazines, often found filed away in libraries or Dr's waiting rooms, & quick ideas can go down a treat. The sum total of human knowledge is not (yet) on line either.

Let's not forget just ~20% of the worlds population has reliable internet access, & that even with broadband on tap users may get distracted, or be denied access. Many western schools have very rigid policies on this, & remote regions may face hassles due to download costs & even printing- there are schools all over Africa without mains power or even lighting. It's a lot easier to read a mag. on bus or in the toilet too- & of course it's better to swat flies with a rolled up mag rather than a laptop.

Top of my head "hints & tips" may relate to BOD, underclocking, tristate LED driving, & Boolean. Few non PICAXE users are aware of how seamless IR or DS18B20 work now can be with a 08M, & the likes of a 1 chip data logger is "pigs flying" stuff. Us old hands may now laugh, but I for one have continual emails from both hobbyists & youngsters who are motivated to "go PIC", but are totally confused about prospects,pitfalls, pathways, programming & possibilities. (Note alliteration -for Dippy) Stan

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Potential audience size and best benefit have been factors in my decision to web publish. With a world population over 6 billion, just 0.02% with an interest in electronics and internet access is a potential audience of 1 million for a web article. In contrast, Elektor claims total sales per month across 50 countries to be 150,000. I'd expect other mags to be in the same ballpark. It's hard though to do any direct comparisons, potential audience doesn't equal interested in.

My biggest 'complaint' against paper publishers is that to get the information it has to be found then paid for. We've had circuits in magaizines referenced on this forum yet most readers probably won't have access to it and copyright prevents much of it being published. I can't call that beneficial to the entire potential audience. The same with Don Lancaster's book; great if you can afford it, pretty useless if not.

How much better would it have been if those mags and authors could give their content away free of charge ? Of course that isn't the world we live in at the present so I can understand why people don't; they have to feed themselves.

Mycroft2152

I'm with Hippy on this one, Web publishing is best for articles, print publishing for books. I' don'lt think any hobbyist is going to make a living off publishing articles in print.

There is a certain amount of old fashioned ego boosting by getting your idea in print, but thrre ia a very limited audience who will actually find it and then pay for it.

I'm routinely checking out Silicone Chip magazine, but haven't subscribed to it. There are usually only four or five projects over the coure of a year that I am interested in, and have only purchased one or two to date. Most of the time, a similar project can be found on the web.

The main problem wth web publishing, is finding the information. Yes you can use Google, but then you have to sift through thousands of "matches". It is a must to have some connection to a major website with a lot of traffic and a good search engine. after all, you want people to find and use your ideas.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up my own website for my projects,but hesitate because once I stop paying for it, all the info effectively disappears. (Yes. I know about the Wayback machine but it is rarely used by most people). I am very frustrated by broken links to what seems to be a great idea.

I'm learning toward using one of the "groups" on a major provider, liKe Yahoo, Google, or MSN, as an archive rather than for open forum discussions. There are tradeoffs, but the major headaches of keeping it running are someone elses.

Myc

papaof2

I have to agree on the "broken links" problem.

One of the web sites I had up was lost when I moved and changed ISPs. Anyone looking for the (free) software that was there would have had to dig past a search engine's references to the old site to find the new one.

The replacement site was lost when the domain provider failed to notify me that the domain registration was expiring - someone else took it within hours of the expiration. I may be aware that a registration expires in October, but not that it expires at 21:43 on the 17th of the month...

My newest domain was registered via godaddy.com, which provides both advance notification of expiration and a "grace period" before they release the domain to the rest of the world. I use qualityhostonline.com because they're relatively inexpensive and they notify in advance of yearly hosting coming due. The limitations now are funding (about $30US/year for registration + hosting) and my survival - neither can be guaranteed.

Re: George Carlin quote
Is that an opportunity for a really good programmer to add lots of pennies to his/her bank account?

John