electronic high jump

ciprianiisgod

at school i have been set a task to create an electronic high jump bar so in P.E you dont have to keep putting the bar back up. The other problem is that you need to be able to see the electronic bar. If you were to use a laser then u would have to use a spray to see it. I was wondering if anyone could help me to create a system (preferably a PIC) to solve this problem

cheers

Dippy

How about some elastic with a bell on it?
Or even measure the vibrations with sensor and PICAXE?
I'd hate to my foot tangled in though ;)
Safety first!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
As Dippy notes; safety; the fact it's a bar which falls off is an inherent safety feature, and wouldn't changing the bar change the 'rules of the game' - It doesn't matter if one hits the bar as long as it doesn't fall off was the way I thought it worked. I'm sure it would also have an adverse psychological effect on most jumpers as the physical bar is part and parcel of knowing where one's going, encouraging a jump, lifting one's feet etc, and a good feedback mechanism for determining why a jump wasn't successful.

Is it really so much of a problem to put the bar back up ?

Last edited:

alband

On a more sensible note than my last post. why not have the bar on strings at each end, attached to a motor. The bar falls, the motor turns, the motor produces a PD, this is used as an input to the PICAXE. The PICAXE waits until both motors have stopped, then winches the bar back up. Simple.

alband

Like it Alband ...but isn't it even simpler just to put it back by hand ? ;)
As obvious-er answer as that is, I think is is like answering the question
"how do I get past this wall without going through the door?" with
"just go through the door". :D

boriz

I guess when you are learning, you spend half your time resetting the pole. Heres my contribution:

String. Gripped by a bulldog clip at one end. Runs over a pulley at the other. Extends downwards almost to the ground with a small weight on the end, just large enough to return/tension the string. The clip-auto-release mechanism is to avoid any possible entanglement injury. Electronic sensor measures how far the weight moves. Beyond a small (preset) amount, a buzzer sounds for 3 seconds.

Can’t get much simpler than that.

Dippy

When the fat kid goes through it then feeble stuff will be trashed.

Doesn't the School insurance state that any equipment should be such&such approved?

I'm sure if it could have been done cheaply and easily then it would have appeared at the Beijing Olympics.

manuka

I've leap over a few bars in my time -& some were still cluttered with bottles & glasses too- & ponder that a green laser may have merit. The sensitive human eye can see the track of greens, at least in dim conditions. However I see the "laser technique" as indeed being flawed, as it's often part of the excitment to just clip the bar & have it remain pegged.

Andrew Cowan

If you could have smoke, a green laser (50mW)? would work wonderfully, however, it would be a bit dangerous for schools (blinding when viewed on axis), and the smoke would be a bit weird. Add to the suspense, though...

A