Educational picaxe applications

kranenborg

Hello,

I spent quite some time investigating Andrew Hornblow's educational site on his schools experience with the picaxe (he is one of manuka's nearby friends, I suppose). Somehow he has found the right balance between simplicity and functionality. I find it all (and it is a lot!) very inspirational: http://picasaweb.google.com/picaxe

The only thing is that I do not get the videos running.

Best regards,
Jurjen

PS: Problem with videos disappeared ...

Last edited:

manuka

Yes- just up the road from me (~3 hours traveling- NZ is larger than many folks think! ) in NZ's North Island. Andrew works extensively with pre teens under a NZ govt electrotech. enrichment scheme, & his minimalist "barebones" breadboard approach is both highly successful & cost effective. I've adopted his 08M layout of course for SiChip articles, but personally prefer a more elaborate scheme - & avoid 3V Li cells! Stan

westaust55

~3 hours traveling - NZ is larger than many folks think! - in NZ's North Island
Would just about get out of the home/house paddock on some cattle/sheep stations given that time frame. :D

Seriously though . . I agree. Had a look at Stan's and Andrew's sites laast night myself - not for the first time. Some very useful and interesting information with an educational pitch.

BCJKiwi

Land Area of New Zealand is a little greater than that of the UK.
Distance from North Cape to Bluff approximately 1600km compared to UK which is approximately 1000km North to South.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Can't resist ...

~3 hours traveling- NZ is larger than many folks think!
Or maybe your roads are worse than everyone else's :)

Having been to the UK you'll know just how tongue in cheek that is meant.

inglewoodpete

Originally Posted by manuka
~3 hours traveling- NZ is larger than many folks think!
It would be even larger if someone flattened/straightened it out. Being on the edge of two tectonic plates, NZ is a bit crumpled. Excellent roads, but I don't remember too many straight ones;) (with apologies to those living on the Canterbury Plains)

manuka

As often mentioned to Europeans, Australian road distances are overwhelmingly immense. It's ~4000km (& a SOLID weeks driving) from Perth to Darwin, & that's going the short way!

westaust55

Travelling in Australia

Perth to Darwin in a week - would be in moderate touring mode.

But sticking pretty much to the speed limits (110 on open roads in WA and across the nullarbour) and not too much looking stopping to look around, I have regularly done 4,000 km in 4 days (travelling about 10 hours) in the past. In remote areas, it can be up to 400 km between some towns!

In past couple of years have taken to slower average travelling but cover 400km to 500km in a day with more and longer stops meandering around towns and attractions.

westaust55

Back onto the Education Theme

Manuka,

back to the educational and related side, like others I find the printing on many modern ICs rather difficult to see/read. :rolleyes:

I note that you have and Martyn have pdf versions of the PICAXE labels for printing on your website.

Is it possible to get a word or excel version of the list to help me with sizing to generate labels for other IC's (like 24LC256, DS1307, 74HC595, 74HC165, PFC8474 etc) ? :confused:

had a go yesterday to had write some labels but difficult to hand write 24LC256 small enough to fit on top of the DIP8 device. :(

papaof2

driving distances

As often mentioned to Europeans, Australian road distances are overwhelmingly immense. It's ~4000km (& a SOLID weeks driving) from Perth to Darwin, & that's going the short way!
I've never been in NZ or AU, but for those distances, I can only hope the highways are better than the M roads in the UK ;-) (I drove 1100 [1770km] miles there in two weeks in 2002.)

If you do much long distance driving in the US, the nearly direct Interstate highway routes and their 65/70mph (105/113kph) speed limits allow for long distances in a single day. We make the 650 miles (1046km) to our older daughter's house in about 11 hours, including frequent stops to stretch (as a concession to my arthritic body) and time to eat.

John

westaust55

Manuka,
I am looking to generate some labels for other devices such as the DS1307, 24LC256, PFC8574 etc.
Was more looking towards having a “template” with right label sizes as a starting point.

Bit the bullet at lunchtime and created some in Excel – draft only at present as need to check the exact dimensions – found some older Philips datasheets giving same physical size for 14 pin as 16 pin IC’s.
Attached is copy of what I have done so far. Not likely to progress further now till Monday as busy on non-electronic activities over the weekend. :)

InglewoodPete,
I would also be interested to see what you have done in terms of format etc. Guess that I should be able to print out a Visio file using an MS file reader (since I do not have Visio).

Attachments

westaust55

IC labels - Draft 2

Manuka,

Yes aware the Rev Ed do metalised labels but agin bel;ieve these only ciover the basic PICAXE chips. MicroZed here in Australia sell them but often no stock on some "sizes".

Had a quick look at text size in view of your comment. The text was already bold but with careful selection of font type I have been able to increase the height of the text. has made it more readable.

Still to sort out for some 28 and 40 pin chips. When I do this I will include:
- 28pin - PICAXE 28X/28X1, MCP23016 and MCP23017
- 40pin - PICAXE 40X and 40X1

Will also check out the dimensions where possible in case datasheets used are not too good. A buit of text alighment still needed.

Relatively easy to add details for other chips for those interested. So if anyone has their own preferences to add to the list for DIP type IC's they can provide a post with:
- a short description
- chip part number, and
- manufacturer (if unique/limited)
and I can add them in a few days time.

Attachments

Mycroft2152

Since i'm chaep and don't like to waste label paper and ink, how about reformatting them to fit on standard address labels?

Myc

westaust55

how about reformatting them to fit on standard address labels
what constitutes a standard label size?
Not at home currently, but I have sticky address labels that are from memory approx 100mm x 80mm.

It would be difficult to appease all for layout of stickers.
I could consider doing over several smaller sheets but even then the content on any one page will never suit all.

Any further thoughts from all members on:
- layout of labels and
- IC's they might like to have added to the sheet(s) - already got all 14 PICAXE types per request by Manuka
from all before I have a further look at home on Monday night (including resizing of some that have come up a bit short on physical length compared to actual IC sizes).

Last edited: