Driving Servos

fritz42_male

Sorry if I am being dumb but can anyone tell me why all the picaxe examples drive servo signals via a 330 ohm resistor and can it be omitted?

The reason I ask is I have seen other PIC hobbyists driving directly off the chip output.

I've knocked up a simple 3/4 servo controller based on the 08M proto board which works well. However, I had to bypass the 330 ohm resistor to get a triac to fire on the delay/duration timer I used it on. If I can omit the resistors from the design completely, it would simplify the board even further.

Cheers

Mike

inglewoodpete

Sorry if I am being dumb but can anyone tell me why all the picaxe examples drive servo signals via a 330 ohm resistor and can it be omitted?

The reason I ask is I have seen other PIC hobbyists driving directly off the chip output.

I've knocked up a simple 3/4 servo controller based on the 08M proto board which works well. However, I had to bypass the 330 ohm resistor to get a triac to fire on the delay/duration timer I used it on. If I can omit the resistors from the design completely, it would simplify the board even further.

Cheers

Mike
You can probably guess what the resistor is there for: as a current limiter. Yes, you can probably get away without the resistor. I haven't had extensive experience with servos: possibly the signal lead in the servo can go short circuit to + or 0v and overload the PICAXE pin. Alternatively, if you run the servo of 6v and PICAXE off 5v, there could be additional current passing. However, I'm guessing.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It's an extra protection thing, if you never make mistakes and never wire things up incorrectly then do don't need it.... if you do sometimes make mistakes its a cheap way to help protect the PICAXE!

fritz42_male

Thanks guys. That's what I assumed but wanted to check. I'll play around with values to see if I can get the SSR to fire with a resistor in place and then test with servos as well.

Cheers

Mike