download issues

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is not a PICAXE product, but a third party product with a PICAXE chip on it. So for support with drivers etc. please contact the manufacturer.

manuka

Cussed Vista USB driver issue work-arounds are much discussed at http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/USB-Problems-drivers-wont-install--ftopict32626.html Aside from this help, web folklore implies driver issues with Vista often just go away under XP. Perhaps hence try it on a "normal" XP system?

It looks a clean & well priced (US$17) little 08M unit, so it's a shame not to have it singing and dancing. Is it able to be powered from the USB lines when plugged in? I've visions of an on board 1 F SuperCap allowing the unit to run (as say a DS18B20 data logger ) away from the PC for some time, saving values into the 08M EEPROM. It certainly would make a nifty intro to embedded micros. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

alband

Welcome to the forum!:)

In what way is it "not working". What error messages do you get?

Also, which download cable are you using?

alband

Oh yes, dumb moment. In that case it would be quite possible to buy an adaptor or just simply attach a mini A (I think?) USB connector to an AXE027 cable.

Wrenow

Are you using the cable that came with it? It does not use the standard Picaxe download cables.

Wreno

BeanieBots

David, have a closer look.
Besides the 08M, what other chip do you see?
What does it do?
How/where does the AXE027 fit into the equation?
Why do you think Technical (and several others) are not too interested?
(clue: which/what driver do you think is required?)

Last edited:

mango matto

did I make a mistake?

Thanks for the replies. I originally placed an order for two starter packs from advanced micro circuits which is a vendor listed on the Picaxe website. I was told it was shippied then a week later I get an e-mail stating that my order has not been shipped out because they were waiting on cables to come in. They offered to send these usb boards instead at the same cost. Being new and very naive I thought they were actualy picaxe products, so I said ok to the change in my order. I hope I did not make a big mistake.
Beanie bots post has me a little concerned.

alband

David, have a closer look.
Besides the 08M, what other chip do you see?
What does it do?
How/where does the AXE027 fit into the equation?
Why do you think Technical (and several others) are not too interested?
(clue: which/what driver do you think is required?)
Ah :eek:

Still; how exactly does the download "not work". If you are using programming editor, aare you using the latest version? Does the COM port appear in the software you are using, or does it appear to be usable until the moment you try to download.

It may indeed be better to get a PICAXE branded cable from Tech-Supplies. It might seem expensive, but it is so convinient just being able to press download and KNOW there is nothing wrong with your cable :)

BeanieBots

Ahrrr.....
"It may indeed be better to get a PICAXE branded cable from Tech-Supplies"
What possible use would that be to him?

IT'S A USB BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!