Did I Fry my chip? w/ 9v battery?

ironman99

:confused:I didn't see the part about buy the regulator...oooPPs.h*t...:eek:
I got the 40x1(i think..16f887.0812pap:).
I put 3 AA baterys..good on voltmeter,,but no response on Download.:confused:
PLEASE HELP...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is unfortunately very likely destroyed. You may have been lucky and it's okay and there's some other problem to deal with but I suspect not.

westaust55

I agree with Hippy.

At almost double the typical working voltage and 2.5V greater than the Absolute max voltage (=6.5Vdc) it will most likely be destroyed.

from the datasheet:
Stresses above those listed under “Absolute Maximum Ratings” may cause permanent damage to the device
Even if it has for now survived that over voltage and there was another circuit problem, the over stressing that has occured will likely lead to pre-mature failure or erroneous operation.
IMHO, a new chip would be the way to go.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

I've had one continue to function after applying 12v volts. However, it did have a few quirks and ran warm.
Even if a device does continue to work and all seems well, I'd still throw it away for the reasons given by westaust55.
For the cost, it simply isn't worth the time, effort or risk.

tiscando

same accident but specified

For my 40x1 accident (long ago), the micro's vcc power rail has shorted into the rxd (serial in) pin after I connected my home-brew regulator (with a transistor different to usual) wrong (a 9v-peak supply for just 2 seconds), although the serial out pin still worked as expected.

gengis

Yeah, its fried. "Absolute maximum voltage" means just that.

I've only fried one - I put a bypass cap on my breadboard before discharging it first. It couldn't have had more than 7 volts on it, but even that small amount of energy was enough to fry it.

RogerTango

If greater than 4.5 volts, run a 7805 (RadioShack has them, $1.59 each) regulator but then source voltage needs to be 8v or more.

Good luck,
Andrew