Control a DC speed controller

Lostmyed

Hi.

I'm about to purchase 2x 12V motor speed controller to drive a remote control golf trolley (4QD Porter). They can be controlled via 0-5K resistor or 0-3v. I want to use a picaxe 28 to control the speed for various reasons, what would be the easiest way to control them ?

I would prefer not to have a servo mechanically driving a pot, is there a simple solution.

Please assume total ignorance, i am very new to this.

Many thanks.

MartinM57

Possibly (a simple'ish solution) - got any references for the controllers (part number, data sheet etc)?

Google for "PICAXE motor speed controller" and you will find a lot of info

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6384 points at a webpage that was excellent, but appears to have disappeared :(
...but there's some useful words further down the page. Maybe PM HamRadioAddict...or he may see this thread...

Lostmyed

Thanks for the links - nice projects too..
Unfortunatly building the speed controllers from scratch is a little out of my comfort zone for the time being..
I just want to control some bought out units for now.

The units i'm looking at are here:
http://www.4qd.co.uk/prod/ptr.html

Again thanks

Dippy

Have a look into RCing (filtering) a PWM output.
Data sheet says low imp so maybe use an op-amp.
Over-voltage can be built in or run PICAXE at 3V3 if it will stand it.

Several ways, but chew that one over first.

I'm sure Andrew Cowan had a similar setup.

Andrew Cowan

Good memory Dippy. I've got a PWM output, a zener to catch any surges (regulator failures etc), and an RC network to give a smooth signal. It works well. I'll dig up a circuit diagram tommorrow and stick it up here.

A

goom

Have a look at electronic speed controllers (ESC's) as used for RC models (e.g. boats and cars). They all use inputs from a radio receiver, so can easily be driven directly using the SERVO/SERVOPOS commands.
Current handling capabilities of such devices vary widely, but are certainly available to cove your requirements. Many have forward and reverse capability, but you can get one for forward only operation and save some cash. Make sure that you get one with an adequate continuous current rating, and ignore the peak rating which can be much higher.