CMUCam1 v2.3 (Boe-Bot CMUcam) with Picaxe?

MaltiK

I purchased this A long time ago, and I was wondering, how would I go about using the cam as image processor/blob recognition/object following with the Picaxe 28x1 board?

BeanieBots

I'd start by reading the demo files. There is not much difference between PICAXE basic and Stamp basic.
Depends a lot on what you want to do. PICAXE does not have much memory so reading in picture information will soon eat it all up.

papaof2

The ad says that the Boe-Bot version can detect a color and drive a servo to follow it. Looks like that part is built in - time to look at the fine print in the manual...

John

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@ MaltiK : I think you are going to have to study what PDF's there are while looking at the demo code and whatever else can be found via Google and in forums elsewhere. It looks like the product is designed to be usable with the Basic Stamp so should be usable with a PICAXE.

Obviously it's going to be more understandable and easier to use with the product it is designed to be used with but it should be possible to get something which works with the PICAXE. Unless someone has already done this, you get that adventure for yourself.

Where I'd start is in determining how it is powered and how serial connects. Then get some sort of serial working with a PICAXE; send a command, receive a response. Then move on to sending meaningful commands and get meaningful responses.

After that it's getting familiar with what the commands mean and how they can be used, and of course, what you need to do to get what you to achieve.

On tip with datasheets which have lots of factual data but little 'how to' is to ignore that which isn't immediately relevant, eg, who cares about colour balance to start with when all you want is get a response, meaningful or not, who cares about tracking going wildly off the scale when you only need to prove it can track. Once you have got to grips with what you need to it is usually the case that what you didn't understand earlier makes more sense later.

Always have a full read of a manual or datasheet so you at least know what it contains even if you skip the details. Note what seems to be important then start with understanding those in small pieces, most necessary things first.

MaltiK

Then I have a different question, has anyone used the serin/serout commands in Picaxe? The CMUCam is TTL, so i believe I would have to use a direct digital output terminal, and a digital input terminal, can anyone supply a sample code where they use serin/serout command to get results?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Many have used SERIN and SEROUT, plus the High-Speed Serial which may be better suited here provided by the PICAXE 28X1/40X1. Being TTL it should work with a direct connection to the PICAXE.

It should be possible to route the CMUcam TTL through a MAX232 or other inverter/driver and connect directly to a PC serial port and any terminal program can then be used to control it. It should also be possible to connect it directly to a USB-serial adapter.

The main challenge is in determining the polarity of the lines; a scope is the quickest way, but using SERIN/SEROUT and altering Nxxxx/Txxxx baud rates should reveal which it is.