Card Clock

alpacaman

This clock uses 3 RC servos which are used to fan the cards out. To read it you simply read the highest showing card. The time displayed in the picture is 8:49.

Since the picture was taken I glued circles, cut out of unused cards, back of cards showing, to the 3 uncovered centers.

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Very neat and very novel.

What's the trick to getting the cards to fan nicely ? I have enough problems doing that by hand !

alpacaman

Very neat and very novel.

What's the trick to getting the cards to fan nicely ? I have enough problems doing that by hand !
The pictures show the card modification and stages of assembly. There is a pivot point and another pin which goes through the slot cut in the card - limiting the amount of travel. The cards fan out from gravity. The servo's position controls how many cards fan out.

Attachments

alpacaman

Cool clock!
So how did you cut the arc slot in the cards?
I made a pattern, see attachment, which I cut out and placed over the card. I used a small hole punch and punched out the required number of holes in the arch - depending on the face value of the card. Then I used a sharp knife to finish cutting the arch between the holes I punched.

Attachments

Tom2000

WOW!

That's not only a terrific original idea, it's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I just can't tell you how impressive your clock is. Exceptionally well done!

Tom