Capacitors

thunderace7

Hi. Some time ago I had a problem programming a 28x2. I solved this by changing the ceramic disc decoupling capacitor for a polyester one.
I am puzzled as to why the ceramic capacitor didn't work. It was labelled as 104 which I believe is correct. The reason for my current concern is that I want to try building circuits with SMD components and almost all SMD capacitors I can find are ceramic.
My instincts are that SMD ceramic capacitors must work ok as they are all over many commercial circuit boards but I am concerned about my previous experience.

Buzby

Firstly, I suggest that your ceramic disk cap may have been faulty.
I've had problems that traced back to cracked ceramics, but also had plenty success with ceramics over many years.

Another issue could be it was a poor contact in the breadboard, if that's what you were using. Again I've had problems with thin or tarnished component leads not making proper contact.

As you say, there are billions of ceramic caps, both disk and SMD, in use worldwide, so there can't be an intrinsic problem.

thunderace7

Yes, it could have been a faulty capacitor but I threw it away so I can't be sure. I have a million of them so maybe I'll try to reproduce the fault.
Thanks.