Can't program extra 08M Picaxes

tt92

I bought four 08M picaxes.
I have developed a program using the little green development board AXE021, I think it is. The program runs and is safely programmed into one of the picaxes. If I try to put this program into any of the other three 08M picaxes, I get a message saying that the hardware is not connected. However,
if I put a 08 Picaxe into the development board, the computer program recognises that it is a 08, not a 08M. So there is some connection, and some communication between the computer and the picaxe. What have I done wrong? The original programmed 08M still runs if it is re-inserted into the development board. So the development board is correctly connected to the battery, at least.

inglewoodpete

Firstly, it's unusual that you can programme 1 PICAXE and not others in the development board.

Obvious things to check are:
* Is the programming jumper in the correct position?
* Is the PICAXE plugged in the right way around?
* Are all the pins straight and in their respective socket holes?

* To help us help you, what version of the programming editor and what are you using as a power supply?

Do you have a multimeter? What is the voltage between legs 1 and 8 or the PICAXE?
When you attempt a programming download, does the voltage on leg 2 (serial in) go high (towards V+)? If so, does the voltage on leg 7 (serial out) change?

Pekari

I was have a same problem today with Picaxe 18X.
I try and try but it doesn't load a program to that IC. But the other 18X I haven't any problem!
Then I measured a voltge of ic (Supply pins) and it show >6V!
I was suppriced because it is connected to 4xNi-Cd accu and have serial diode, so voltage is normally 4,6V.
I measured a worked IC and it show a 4,6V. It's a same board which I use to load a IC!
I load that worked IC a program and then change IC to that no response-IC and measured voltage. Now it show me 4,6V (Normal) and then I load a program without problem.
Then I begin to check where it can have >6V.
I measured a computer cable and it show me >10V!

So, that IC maybe exude a voltage to wrong pin.

tt92

Firstly, it's unusual that you can programme 1 PICAXE and not others in the development board.

Obvious things to check are:
* Is the programming jumper in the correct position?
yes
* Is the PICAXE plugged in the right way around?
yes
* Are all the pins straight and in their respective socket holes?
yes

* To help us help you, what version of the programming editor and what are you using as a power supply?

Do you have a multimeter? What is the voltage between legs 1 and 8 or the PICAXE?
4.23 from three NiMH AA cells
When you attempt a programming download, does the voltage on leg 2 (serial in) go high (towards V+)?

yes, but up to 4.8volts. How is that possible?
If so, does the voltage on leg 7 (serial out)
change
no
?
That 4.8 volts puzzles me.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
if I put a 08 Picaxe into the development board, the computer program recognises that it is a 08, not a 08M ... The original programmed 08M still runs if it is re-inserted into the development board.
If a Firmware Check ( view -> options -> mode -> Firmware? ) shows an 08 and an 08M respectively but the others do not then I would suspect that the others are not PICAXE ( are PICmicro devices ) or have been damaged.

tt92

Thank you.
I did that, and the chips were recognised as 08M.
I think I know what is wrong, because when I change it, the chips will program.
My program has setfreq m8, and in that options box there is an option to change the frequency from m4 to m8. I had set that option to m8 because I assumed that was necessary if the program was to run at m8. Changing that back to m4 allowed the compiler to recognise, and program, all three remaining chips.
What finger-fumbling allowed me to program the first chip and not the others is best forgotten, I think.
Ix there a reason the options box allows me to change the frequency to m8 when it seems not to be a valid option?

BCJKiwi

The chip will always program at 4Mhz (it switches down internally once a download sequence is recognised)

If a program is running at 8Mhz, the download may not initiate as it may not recognise the start of a download sequence.

The trick is to;
power off the PICAXE,
Start the download, and,
immediately the progress bar starts, power on the PICAXE.

Pekari

Yeah, BCJKiwi, I have done that way always when I have a problem to load. Today that doesn't give me a help.