can this be used for object detection

MPep

Hi BH52,

Welcome to the forum.
Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
You would need to do some testing to see how far you can go, depending on your requirements. I suspect that these units are usually used to sense when a lever is moved out of the way, or into it.

What do you want to sense?

Mark

BCJKiwi

It is the next chip in the PICAXE series - x4 and replaces 28x2 and 40x2 chips as it combines both 28X2 and 40X2 cores together in a 48 pin package.
Full designation is 2840x4 - abbreviated to 24.;)

OK put the smiley on for those reading this post before the chips actually arrive in 2024!

Last edited:

BeanieBots

It will "work" in so far that a PICAXE will be able to read it's output. Whether or not it will do what you want is another question.
Where did you get PICAXE 24 from? Getting confused with a competitor maybe?

bonehead52

oop

i meant a picaxe28x. dunno where i got 24 from. i was going to attempt to use it for object detection in small rover, ill pick up a couple and let you know how i get on,

thank you for the quick replies

slurp

i found this on rapid it claims to be an infra red sensor that also controls the emitter i have read the data sheet but cannot work out if it can be used with a picaxe 24
any help will be appreciated
Yes they can be used as short range sensors, I've used them with both 18X and other microcontrollers. The basic circuit at the bottom of page 4 (of data sheet) is what you need to follow, any IR LED around 940um should be fine.

The range is about 50-60mm (4.7v supply) with the LED connected directly to the GLout pin, the PICAXE input is connected to the Vo pin. With higher voltages the range extends, I've noted a link (now broken) to a site where the GLout drove a transistor to allow multiple LEDs to be driven from a higher voltage source - ranges have been quoted as up to 160mm.

Note! on these devices Vo goes Low on detection, some people people expect it to go high...

There's a little discussion here:-

http://www.minisumo.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36

Best regards,
Colin