Can a 08 stop working by itself?

marcos.placona

Hi guys, I bought a batch of three 08m's about 1 year ago, and kept them on the rawer for some time. I've used two of them in a regular basis, and yesterday I felt that I needed to use the last of them.

It was well stored in a dry place and still on it's isolation plastic (don't know the name of that). I put it on my breadboard to program it, as this one was supposed to go to an enclosure.

To my surprise, no matter what I tried, it wouldn't program. I know it's not a circuit problem, as it's the same circuit I use for all my 08m's (and I didn't change anything).

I then tried to hard reset it, but still it'd give me the famous message of "no hardware found on comX etc etc.."

I then tried to change the power supply (although it'd still work for other 08m's, but maybe this one was more power hungry), but still no go.

Has anybody here found anything like that to happen with a picaxe? It's weird, as it was the first time I was using it, and I'm sure I didn't fry.

Any comments or workarounds appreciated.

marcos.placona

Yes, I did. As I mentioned before, this is the circuit I use to program all the 08m's, and it never changes as I just use it for programming.

But anyway, I tried to put another 08m there to see if it wasn't a circuit failure, but the other 08m's worked as usual. It's just this specific one

Andrew Cowan

Well, if other 08Ms work and that one doesn't work, it indicates that the 08M is broken.

I had an odd problem yesterday, where I was copying a video to my MP3 player (thus using all of my poor computers brain). When I tried programming an 18X at the same time, I kept getting the 'other' error meassage - the one you get if you disconnect the power while programming. I couldn't get it ti work unitil I used it on another laptop, or restarted the busy PC.

Andrew

marcos.placona

Yeah, I've tried another PC too, just to make sure. I'm sure it's a failure on the chip, albeit I don't really believe a chip would leave the rev-ed's factory without being tested. Or would it?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've got a PICAXE which went that way too ( not sure which now, think it's an 08/08M ). No idea why, just doesn't work, except when the power supply is dropped to around 4V5. Used to work, all others do.

marcos.placona

HUmm at least it's not just me. I tried decreasing the power supply to about 4v, then 5, then 4.5 and then 3. No go.

Let's see if Technical comes up with a solution for that. :)