Bus Pirate

Andrew Cowan

Nice product name, and it looks useful. However, most of my BUSes are serial, so I can use serial terminal to debug. Still, it's nice if you are using a more complex protocol and have 20 squids spare.

A

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's an interesting product but really no more than connecting a PICAXE to a PC and commanding it to do something with it's I/O lines or on-chip peripherals. I'm using PICAXE in a similar way to read switches for a PC and to control relays, and that could be easily modified to give analogue, PWM, I2C, SPI, 1-Wire device interfacing etc.

Almost any micro could be used in such a setup but the big advantage for PICAXE users is the ability to develop and be in control of their own 'firmware' using the familiar Programming Editor and the finished project can be dedicated to a specific task if required; write appropriate PICAXE code and download, write the PC-side code serial port code to use it, connect the two together and job done. A HyperTerm controlled setup like Bus Pirate would be just as possible if not into PC-side programming.

ciseco

Thats really cool if rather familiar, only exception being we dont use wires, it's all serial though. TCP/IP/infra red and wireless. Supports PICAXE, kickchip, Proton, Swordfish, Arduino, windows, CE at the moment with plenty more to add.

If you like their kit give it a bash, looks to me like someone has put a lot of effort in :)

Miles
________
marijuana strain index

Last edited: