AXE110 PCB design flaw

tarzan

If I may, bring to your attention a design flaw regarding the Data Logger AXE110 PCB.

It is my belief that the write protect PCB track for the onboard memory chip and the CT8 i2c write protect track should be one and the same. Current design has Serial LCD and external memory board AXE111 write protect sharing the same output pin. I ask that you correct this over site by doing one of the following:

Reinstate the i2c LCD option on the Data Logger Wizard and supply the appropriate programming.

Redesign AXE110 PCB so that CT8 i2c WP and on board memory WP are both connected to pin 11 of 18X.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2207&amp;forum_id=14&amp;Topic_Title=Data+Logger+Wizard+i2c+LCD&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+8&amp;M=False <A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2207&amp;forum_id=14&amp;Topic_Title=Data+Logger+Wizard+i2c+LCD&amp;forum_title=No+new+posts+please%21+8&amp;M=False' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Thank you for considering my request.

Dan

Edited by - tarzan on 5/4/2005 3:32:27 AM

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The board was designed as is for a number of reasons - including use of other products on the i2c expansion port (e.g. SPE030 speech module).

There is no intention to change the design at present.

The serial i2c option is scheduled for inclusion in a future release.

Edited by - Technical on 5/4/2005 9:20:17 AM

tarzan

Please do me the courtesy of explaining why I have been censored on this issue. I have written to you in good faith. Outlining a problem with one of your products to help your company improve customer satisfaction.

When Technical posts a response to a legitimate statement, I expect the opportunity to reply.

Thank you

Dan

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It has been sent twice to your registered email address. If you do not receive email technical support with your correct email address.

The layout of the i2c connector on the PCB is designed to be compatible with a number of different products, not just the AXE111. Some of these other products require a separate data line to operate, which is why the layout is the way it is.

As supplied, you can use the AXE111 and serial LCD together. If you require WP operation on the AXE111 you cannot use the serial LCD on the same output. However you could use another output e.g. the piezo output, to drive the LCD instead. This would require a trivial manual modification of the automatically generated code (changing output number).

Alterenately you can easily solder a wire link on the board to connect the WP of the onboard EEPROM chip to the external i2c connector. However this would limit future use of the i2c connector only to AXE111 use (which appears to appropriate for your project).

Edited by - Technical on 5/4/2005 11:56:03 AM

tarzan

If you did not sent it here (deleted) I don't know where it got to.

&#160;

Edited by - tarzan on 23/11/2006 06:13:17

tarzan

<i>The layout of the i2c connector on the PCB is designed to be compatible with a number of different products, not just the AXE111. Some of these other products require a separate data line to operate, which is why the layout is the way it is. </i>

Which other products do you refer too?

Still did not receive E-mail. If you would be so kind as to send original to (deleted)
I will read what you have to say.

Thank you

Dan

&#160;

Edited by - tarzan on 23/11/2006 06:14:48

tarzan

There appears to be a problem with my web mail server could you please mail to (deleted) instead.

Thank you

Dan

&#160;

Edited by - tarzan on 02/12/2006 03:36:45