AutoDesk Inventor software, anygood?

BrendanP

I saw Autodesk Inventor in use the other day. It's a very impressive bit of software, at least what little I saw of it.

Does anyone use it professionally? Is it worth the money.

I have to design a few picaxe driven electro-mechanical devices and I was thinking it would be a very handy design tool.

big bird

Autodesk Inventor

This is an impressive program, but difficult to learn from scratch unless you are experienced in 3D. Can be downloaded for free legally (14month licence) from Autodesk if you are a student, or associated with a technical educational institution. Also try Prodesktop. If you only require 2D applications there are easier programs to operate

evanh

A little bit of speculation here. It looked to me like Autodesk got a fright when Solidworks arrived in the Windoze world. If I'm not mistaken they are all copies of the Unigraphics system developed for the aircraft industry.

Evan

flyingnunrt

Although I don't use it professionally, nor have I used the pipe and wiring modules, I have been using Inventor for a couple of years doing 3D modelling, stress analysis and sheet metal work and can confirm its great potential, but its probbaly a bit over the top for the picaxe arena.
Not sure who copied who here but ProE is so much like inventor but the commands are just a tad different and after having learnt Inventor and gotten used to it, I just don't want to turn around and have to do it all again to learn ProE so I'll stick with Inventor for now.