Assembler programming

bluejets

Looked in "axe001 programmer.pdf" page 2 and it says " click file ...new template to open a new template"
When I do i am presented with 3 ...all with programs already written in them and all with .bas extension.
If I expand "file type" at the bottom to "all" then another 6 appear with chip numbers and asm extension.
Question is,
do I have to find out which chip is now used for the picaxe , say 08m2, and then select this particular asm template..??
I opened p12f629 and it has some detail already included so do I have to put assembler code in where it says "main" and leave everything as is...??

Not very clear in instructions unless I need to get info somewhere else.
OK..just copied and pasted an asm code in where it says, but then go to change to hex and it says filename must not be longet than 62 characters. I only have 3.

Next attempt was to remove the existing program and copy and paste my asm code there. Hit Picmicro ...assemble....then it says success.....do you want to program chip now......if yes...it says error...file not found ...if No...then nothing...no save as..nothing.

tried to put the code in here but forum says code is tooo long over 1000 characters

Last edited:

westaust55

I am not 100% certain I understand what you are trying to achieve but hopefully this information, highlighted where I perceive the key information is, will help:
I think that you are trying to download assembler code into a PICAXE chip which is wrong - this will erase the Rev Ed firmware in the PICAXE chip rendering it unusable for BASIC programming.

1. The axe001_programmer.pdf document
this states on page 1:
The Programming Editor software is a very powerful software tool. It is designed to program PICAXE chips by a direct serial cable link,
or to program blank microcontrollers with assembler code using a PIC Programmer.

Hardware / Software
To program microcontrollers in assembler code you require a Serial PIC Programmer (part BAS800).
You cannot download assembler programs to a PICAXE chip using the PICAXE direct cable download method.

From page 2 as you reference:
Detailed Instructions:
1) Click File>New Template to open a new template program for the PICmicro.
:
:
:
Presuming no assembler code errors, the software will then ask you whether you wish to
program the PICmicro. Ensure the blank microcontroller is correctly inserted in the
programmer and then click ‘OK’. A progress bar will appear and the microcontroller will be
programmed.
Note this is a "native" PIC microcontroller by Microchip, not a PICAXE with the Rev Ed BASIC interpreter pre-installed for you.

Do you have a BAS800 PIC serial programmer?
Are you trying to program a PIC microcontroller with assembler code via the BAS800?

bluejets

Thanks....I did not realise that programming with asm code would remove bootloader program.

Do not have bas800 programmer, had not progressed to that stage. Have other home built JDM2.

Trying to educate myself here and saw a reference to assembler code and how the program editor would handle it. So looked for more info and did a bit of trial and error. (more the latter)
Some people in the States have developed some code for 12F683 chip and reference was made at one time about having a bootloader program would be handy for changing curve values in an electronic ignition system. Thought this might have been what they were referring to but I guess not.

srnet

Some people in the States have developed some code for 12F683 chip and reference was made at one time about having a bootloader program would be handy for changing curve values in an electronic ignition system. Thought this might have been what they were referring to but I guess not.
There are several bootloaders available that allow a native PIC to be loaded with programs without needing a standard hardware PIC programmer.

Of course you need a hardware PIC programmer in the first place to store the bootloader program on the PIC.

srnet

To clarify, when I said you can use a bootloader to load a native PIC with programs, the programs would be compiled assembler or programs from other compliled languages, you cannot load PICAXE basic programs in this way.