Archives...

Grogster

Hi all.
:)

Has the adminstration of these forums ever thought of making the forum archives available for download - this would be such a valuable resource for PICAXE development etc - perhaps as a PDF?. (forgive me if they are already able to be downloaded elsewhere)

Thoughts?
Comments?

Texy

Only useful if your not online at the time you need the info, as obviously all the info is still obtainable when online, and is also used by the search engine.

Texy

Grogster

Only useful if your not online at the time you need the info, as obviously all the info is still obtainable when online, and is also used by the search engine.

Texy
Precisely.
For use or reading while NOT on-line, and also for portability - keeping the info on a development machine which is not connected to the net.

boriz

The problem is, who owns the information in the archive?. I’ve seen this same idea cause problems before on another forum. One prolific poster systematically erased everything he had ever posted, rather than have it included in an offline archive. Shame. He had made significant contributions.

SilentScreamer

One major problem I can see with this how large would the download be in the end? I expect it would be massive therefore adding significantly to Rev-Ed's bandwidth usage for a service that very few would actually use properly.

If you want it I seem to remember a program somewhere that allowed you to download entire sites then you could run a basic copy of the archives off-line.

EDIT: Just thought, I'm not sure about the legality of that suggestion.

Grogster

OK - point taken.
Was just an idea I had, but I can see the problems with it now that you all have commented.

westaust55

From the Archives

Grogster,

what are you doing this weekend :confused:

you could always take on a project to filter through the archives and extract the relevant good information taking into account where firmware and programming editor updates have rectified problems to create a "book" of useful information. :rolleyes:

Dippy

Just one weekend Westy? Make that 20.

And then one more to sort out spelling mistakes, including my own I've noticed ;)

After all, we don't want to loose information when searching...

(It's amazing how many times people get lose/loose wrong).

westaust55

That was tongue-in-cheek :eek: Dippy

concur wholeheartedly that it would be a mamoth task

then instead of "Search the forum" we could say "Read Grogsters book" :D

Dippy

Hehe.

Actually, while Groggy is 'at it' , he could include some circuit diagrams for:-
A) Driving N & P MOSFETs
B) Power Supplies for connection to cars.
C) Circuit diagrams and code for solar MPPT
D) Everything else that people get confused.

Grogster

You guys are funny...
:D

As the laptop I use for code development does not have Internet access on it, that was one of the other reasons for asking, cos then I could keep copies of forums off-line. I could install PDF-creator(or whatever it is called), and make PDF's of relevant threads if desperate - or just keep printing the relevant ones out as I already do.

The latter is probably still the best option!!!
:D

Dippy

I absolutely agree there is a lot of useful (and 'mandatory') information in the manuals for the newby.

But once we proceed past 'novice' then they run out of steam - quite naturally.
Where, for example, are any examples on how to use HPWM in a bridge? Where are the drawings to explain what on Earth it is talking about? You have to go to the PIC DataSheet for that. Hence the Forum for explanation.

Anyway, what I'm trying to suggest, Groggy, is that you go through the Forum Threads of interest and separate the wheat from the chaff and create your own GRIMOIRE of circuits and explanations.
Then you will have produced a waffle-free book of circuits, explanations and, where applicable, code snippets,
Time consuming now, time saving later.. over and over again.

I started my own Grimoire years ago. Then I started compiling circuit snippets into my CAD library and code snippets into a separate folder on my PC - along with plenty of comments and explanations.
If I want to know something then that's my first place to look.
The Forum (any Forum) is now way down on my search list for basic stuff.

(The thousand page Markus Guidebook of Electronic Circuits is quite helpful too).

gidgee

If you are using Mozilla firefox browser grab a copy of SCRAPBOOK add-on, the answere to saving snippets from various forums
gidgee

Don't Steal the Government Hates Competition